1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power Coating or POR15

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ksplower, May 18, 2010.

1. ksplower

ksplower Junior Member
    from ks

Well I am new to the forum and new to plowing but I am excited for the long nights and early mornings of pushing the white stuff. I bought a truck with a Western plow on and I am looking to get the blade blasted re-power-coated or putting on POR 15 http://www.por15.com/. I talked with some blasting and power coating places and said they would do it for around 130.00. So I just thought I would ask anyone on here if there was something that they would have done different if they have had this done before. I was thinking about using the POR and not power-coating it. Also my blade does not have a rubber strip at the top of the blade is this something that I need? Because I am thinking that I better Drill the holes before it goes to power-coating. Any help or ideas would be great. Thanks for you time.
    Adam

IMG_2233.jpg

IMG_2239.jpg

IMG_2235.jpg

2. bigblock73

bigblock73 Member

To powder coat a part it has to be baked at 400 degrees
    A big oven would be needed to hold that blade

POR 15 needs to be top coated with another paint because of UV"s braking down the unprotected POR 15

$130 sounds to cheap to blast and powder coat

Western sells the paints to refurbish the plow

3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I like to have a snow flap, it helps keep some of it off the windsheild, and helps you hold more in the blade when you stack it. If you put one on it be sure to bolt it on the ends, to the angle support below the curl. Or over time it will crack the curl off. If you but the flap from western it comes with a bent eye bolt to use on the ends of the plow, I think they are around 150 dollars or so been a while since I bought one. Congrats on the new plow!

4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

If you can get it powder coated for $130 I sure would. Thats a great price.

Bossman

5. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

As was said, first, it's POWDER coat, not power coat.

And second, if they will blast it and powder coat it for $130 I wouldn't even think about it, SOLD!

You'll probably spend a full day or 2 prepping and painting that thing and it wouldn't come out half as nice as new powder coat.

-Jer

6. ksplower

ksplower Junior Member
    from ks

update

Well it has been a while and the new powder coat looks great! They blasted one time then I looked at it and he suggested doing it again. They also Zink coated it I think thats right then powder coated it. I bought SS bolts at the hardware store hoping they will fare better than the old rusty ones I took off. Got new eye blots for the springs. The total cost was 200 and some change for powder coating. Which I thought was a fare deal. I did decide to put a snow flap on the plow.Which I was short one bolt when I took this picture. Then I decited to put a peice of straight steel on top of the flap to prevent the curving of the flap which you also see. I drilled the holes before I got it powder coated and it seems like it is going to do the job. I thought I saw on this site somewhere you can get the Western stickers for free. Can anyone direct me that way?Thanks everyone for you input.

blast.jpg

blast2.jpg

front.jpg

back.jpg

Flap.jpg

7. NorthernPlowman

NorthernPlowman Member

Just have to email western and ask for a decal kit. I did it and took them about 2-3 weeks to reply so I went ahead and bought some then stuck those on and two days ago got a email back from them saying I can expect my complimentry decal in 7-10 days!