1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Power/ Alternator Problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Sethro90, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Sethro90

Sethro90 Junior Member

I have a 2001 Chevy 2500HD. It came equipped with the factory plow prep but I upgraded to a 200Amp alternator anyhow. I have recently put a 9'2" DXT on it. For some reason when you raise the plow or wing out, the truck looses a lot of voltage. Lights dim and sometimes the alternator will even squeal it pulls so hard. If you keep your foot on the gas it doesn't do it. I have replaced both battery's, alternator, tensioner, belt, and it has a new pcm in it. Any suggestions??? I have 2 other 2500HDs and I don't have the problems even if we switch the blades around. I also posted this in the BOSS forum. Thanks for any input! The GM dealer is stumped by this.

2. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

Bad ground? wire from the alt to battery too small to keep up with the amps, defective alternator those would be where I start.... (Insert Chevy sux joke here LOL)

3. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I think bad ground as well, I had a hoist ground that needed cleaning caused so much draw it stalled the engine..

4. Sethro90

Sethro90 Junior Member

The charge wire has actully been upgraded. And I put extra ground wires 4 gauge from battery to frame, frame to engine, engine to body and body to frame chasing this problem.

5. Mr.Markus

Plow ground...

6. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm going with ground as well.You said you have dual batteries?

7. Sethro90

Sethro90 Junior Member

Yes the truck has dual batteries. The plow has one snow on it, and the ground is securely tightened down and clean.

8. JAJA

JAJA Member

If this plow doesn't act up on your other trucks then it's got to be the ground for the plow like everyone is thinking makes since

9. Sethro90

Sethro90 Junior Member

If I put the other plows on this truck it still acts up! But they do just fine on the others.

10. Mr.Markus

11. JAJA

JAJA Member

That's where I would start make sure it is direct to the battery ground and there is no corrosion. Check that the positive to the plow relay is direct to the battery as well and good connections no corrosion etc