1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Powder coating

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by RepoMan207, Oct 29, 2008.

1. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Alright,

there is a fair amount of Info on here for Plow Painting. POR 15 seems to be a good product, and there are a handful of you guys who just scrape and paint with whatever.

I decided to go the POR 15 route and had to have $400 worth of product shipped in (bought extra to have for touch up or other projects), because there is NO dealers in New England (this may be an opportunity for you guys with a store front. I have the contact info of the guy who can set you up. PM me if interested). Anyway, It seems SAND BLASTING is a scarce operations in Maine for some reason. Either a plow is too big of a project or too small, and everyone in between has gotten out of it all together. I finally found a place, which primarily does Powder Coating. While talking to the sales guy about spraying the POR 15 for me too, he says he can sandblast, prep, and powder coat the entire plow for less then spraying MY product.

Here is the question!?!??! If given the chance to start from scratch would you powder coat your plow to manufacture standards or start fresh with something else. i.e. POR 15??

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  2. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

Por 15 for sure, look in the truck and equipment repair topic(frame paint)as it is currently being talked about and "mag man" hit the nail on the head in my opinion.
    Powder coat is great for certain applications, in my opinion plows are not one. Basically your putting a ziploc bag on it and it works excellent until the bag rips and then moisture gets in and it starts lifting the powdercoat.

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

the sales guy has my vote.

give him three hundred, drop off the plow and let him worry about it. ;)

Kind of like when we all tell a small business to just hire a snow professional and let them do the job because that is what they do.

4. skidooer

skidooer Senior Member

well that is a good question, I have had alot of powder coating done to items for snowmobiles and motorcycles but never in a area which is subject to abuse my concern is if you spend alot of money and it is in the same shape as it was before powder coating in a year,let me call the guy that does my powder coating and ask if he has done any plows and how it holds up.

por 15 is UV sensative so it needs to painted over and only comes in cans and not spray ready applications.

it like their is 5 good reasons and five bad reasons for each appliction.

I do agree with snopro if moisture gets under it it is done for I have seen trailers that were powder coated and anywhere it got scraped to bare metal it is like cancer and comes from underneath and spreads

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

If it was back to factory powder coat specs i would probably do that route...for $300 to have someone do all that would be totally worth it IMO. My time is worth something too. POR15 is certainly a great product though!

btw one of my local parts stores sells it

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

I was told they do the whole eclectic shock thing while painting it. Then bake it on. Seeing how Powder Coating is there primary thing, I assume it is Factory quality.

7. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

not to be an A$$ but why is this in the pictures forum???

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

Here...Is that better? J/k :nod:

trythis.jpg

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

It's not that they shock it, they just give the piece a negative charge and the powder coating particles a positive charge...and because of the laws of physics, they stick together...then like you said they bake it!

I still would go with the powder coat! =]

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

I re read the process just after I posted that. It's a cool concept really.

11. Johnnay Boy91

Johnnay Boy91 Member
    from MASS

i know a place in mass that sells POR 15 that paint is nice but dont get it on your skin lol wont come off for atleast a week i use black POR 15 all the time my hands are black all the time hahahah

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Where in MA John? I had to order from NY and have it shipped.

13. mx495

mx495 Member
    from MO

Just because a place powder coats doesn't mean much. I race ATV's and get the frame,swingarm,etc. powder coated every winter. Some places put it on really thick with several layers and some even clearcoat it. I had a company that does golf cart frames do mine and it was flaking off after about a month, it was too thin. I have had it done by another place that did it thick and it was like new after a full season of beating it. Also, powder coat is really hard and will chip if it's hit with rocks from the highway,etc. Just like paint prep is a major factor. Powdercoat is really durable if done right, but so is paint, if done right.
    Just my opinion and experience with it.

14. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

lol

lol well i expected to see a sweet pic of a powder coated plow or something but nooooo.................:D

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

nahhh, just the ole battle axe of a fisher! Consider that before pic......As soon as I get this thing all done I will post the after pic. It will look like a cross between the MM2 and MM1. New stlye lights and lift arm.

16. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

POR - 15 is a good paint, if you use it on anything other than metal that is.

17. RepoMan207

from Maine

great..why you say that? Anything specific?

18. modedicebox

modedicebox Junior Member

I thought I would jump in on this. I have a small powder coat shop I run part time. Like what was said earlier in the thread it can and will chip and moisture,salt,ect will find its way behind the coating and it will begin flaking. To try an avoid this you could have a base coat put down( there are primers for powder coat) solid color then a clear. rinse it off after each day and it should last for years. just my .2

19. RepoMan207

from Maine

Prime, clear, then powder coat??? This is the place I am going to one way or the other.....PPPI Inc.

20. RepoMan207

from Maine

What about Phosphate??? They do that too. I have never heard of it on a plow, but all the pro's of it kinda fit.