1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Powder coating

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rc2505, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey guys, I was just wondering if any of you have had your older plows sandblasted and powder coated. If so are you happy with the results? What was the cost to have this done? and Does the powdercoating last? I am in the process of redoing a couple of my plows, and have gotten a couple quotes, and I guess I am looking to see if they are reasonable quotes or not.

2. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

not for sure

Depending on what they are going to charge you it may make sense. For us, we simply power wash them and paint each year with manufacturer paint. Keeps them looking really good.

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

The plow I want to do the worst is the 9' uni-mount. It has that baked on paint from western, and is completly shot. I have saved it the last few years by spraying fluid film on it, but the rust is under the paint, and it just keeps getting worse. I have a couple different quotes. 1 is way less than the other, so I am trying to figure out if it's worth the money, or I can sand blast it myself and paint it for about 1/2 the money.

4. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

I hate powder coating soon as it chips, instant rust. The epa sucks and I don't know why equipment isn't primed with good epoxy primer and sprayed with oil based paint. that's what i do with all my stuff when the powder coat falls off. easy touch ups and wears better.

5. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

+1

That pretty much sums up my experience and how we maintain everything now.