1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pourous Asphalt

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Longae29, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone have experience plowing/salting on this type of surface? Bid specs say rubber edged blade or lift blade slightly. To me it looks like a rubber edged blade would peel some off the top. I'm thinking though enough salt probably rests in all the crevices to burn off the first bit of snow, and the rough nature ofthe finish probably makes it so it's never that slippery.

Ugh, tree huggers.
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Google it.

I remember one of the snow magazines had an article about this last season or maybe it was on here.
  3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

We have no experience with this hard surface, but I would imagine it would be much safer than regular asphalt during the winter. Liability increases in a huge way with freshly seal-coated asphalt.
  4. EPM

EPM Member

We have a site that has permiable concrete, i think its somewhat close to the same. Rubber or poly edge is a must and plan on extra de icing materials. being permiable the applied material doesnt get much of a chance to work up a brine before it drains below the surface.
  5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the replies

Thanks, I actually do know how to use google. It came back with roughly what the specs I have say, buts its all from government agencies, I was looking for real world experience

That's kind of what I was thinking, a little "free" traction. One thing I read online said was never to use sand (not that we do) as it screws up the permeability (obviously)
    Thanks, I was kind of thinking the opposite, but now that you mention it, it makes more sense that all the brine would wash down before being too beneficial. The probably should have heated it, but I don't think that would have been "green"
  6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

That makes a lot of sense. You got nothing if you don't have brine.

That being the case, I would imagine melt and refreeze isn't an issue with that product?
  7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

To the OP, no experience here, and from a quick search I don't think I'd want much!

I'd think it would be a nightmare to keep the pavement from breaking up with even more brine going down under the surface and freezing and thawing.
  8. EPM

EPM Member

Big probelm. The stuff is worthless in a climate that has a freeze thaw cycle. The site we take care of that has it just ripped up five year old concrete to the tune of about 500k because it failed. My only assumption is its because of repetive freeze/thaw of the liquid trapped inside. Its usually a surface that a township tells the property owner they have to put in. Leave it to local government to think they know whats best.
  9. EPM

EPM Member

Tough to say. The way the surfaces usually work is they drain into either a retention pond or basin. Should the brine that has drained through stop any liquid from freezing, yes. However, you figure any new snow or liquid accumulation on the lot washes and residual brine away. We treated the permiable two the three times as much last season as any other lot. It was always the first to show trace accumulation. The only thing i really know for certain is its a p.i.t.a. to deal with and bid high.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014