1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Potential Monster Storm In Ne

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cward05, Jan 19, 2005.

1. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

Hello everyone, it looks like CT could be hit by a massive storm this coming weekend...anyone hear any details yet? I am waiting patiently as I have had a few times of experience now, so I am all set. One question, I have an 83 chevy k10 with 7'6" fisher. I have a fairly steep drive and I have pushed 6" of snow up nearly half of it before getting stuck. The two problems I have is that I need to make it the full way up! When I don't, I just reverse and slam into the pile, usually with the plow angled..is this ok to do? Any other suggestions? Also, I now have frozen tank traps at the top of my driveway where I usually put the snow...how can I avoid smashing the plow to pieces and get the snow there without putting the snow in front of them? Just stop, raise the blade and push or slowly raise while not letting too much snow fall underneath the plow? Anyone find any really good methods to do this by? Thanks.
  2. hfdresq1

hfdresq1 Junior Member

first of all, does your 4 wheel work? if so, do you have any weight in the bed of the truck? second, is there a reason that you don't push it down the driveway? i'm also from CT and i know some towns fine for pushing into the road. does yours?

i would lift the blade just before you got to the traps about 4 inches so that you can clear them but not leave so much that you can't remove the rest by hand.
  3. cward05

cward05 Senior Member
    from CT

My 4WD does work...thankfully. I have a spare tire/rim and a cardboard box of sand in the back, but I think for this next storm I will add a heavy wood post I have lying around. How much weight actually is effective for ballast? I don't push it down the drive for three reasons...one is, that my neighbors are not very friendly, two, because their driveway and mine almost coincide exactly and three, because I live on a sharp curve and don't want to impede their view when pulling out. Thanks for the good idea.

JPMAKO Senior Member

I would recommend about 400-600 pounds of ballast.
  5. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

As long as the plow is rised a bit, you will have no problem going over the old snow banks. I try my best to push the snow back far enough to accomidate for future snowfalls. I would not back up and ram big piles *especially* with the plow angled. This creates stress on the angle cylanders and alot of stress on the truck. Your not even supposed to stack with the plow angled never mind ram piles. Before you start to bog down, i would turn the truck left or right and lift the plow to dump the snow on the sides of the driveway and then go foward with a fresh bite. Thats how you plow heavy snow. I have plowed over 2 feet of heavy wet snow with a 1/2 ton using this method.
  6. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I checked weather. Doesn't seem to massive.