1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Potassium/magnesium spread over large areas

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by chitownsnowedin, Jan 12, 2009.

1. chitownsnowedin

chitownsnowedin Member
    from Chicago

Has anyone ever spread these bagged products that claim to work to -25/-30 over a large area like a parking lot? Did it work for you?

I use that stuff on sidewalks and always works fine. Was thinking of pitching it to some companies for their properties this week as here in Chicago regular rock salt probably won't be working for a few days.
  2. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

I've used it on a lot of driveways.. i guess that's a small parking lot?

It works, quite well actually. I cant use my tailgate spreader with the stuff though, it all runs out because it's so fine.
  3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We use bagged salt at many of our sites, I hate it!!!!!!!! Working previous employers it's been bulk all the way, next year it will be here too!! But anyway, we use a cal/salt blend over one of our lots, it's fairly large, 3 acres. Does work well and is very fine, don't have issues with a western 1000........
  4. naturalgreen

naturalgreen Senior Member

I do a couple of my churches with the potassium and it is a little finer but my spreader has no problem with it but spreading distance is changed.
    otherwise it works great onlots
    lower melting point and size of material is only real difference.
  5. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

I do a few lots with Mag/Potassium mix. The largest is 15,000 square feet. I think it works real well. Why don't you try mixing it with salt. That should help the salt work better in colder temps.