1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

potassium chloride

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by chadh, Jan 27, 2004.

1. chadh

chadh Junior Member
    from pa

I recently went to the local agway for ice melt and all they had was Potassium Chloride so i bought it, and needless to say it didn't do a darn thing on any of my driveways. Mabye it was too cold?? i am just wondering if any of you other guys used this before and what is it good for? thanks

2. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Product should have worked...

How thick was the ice?

Was it packed snow?

How much product did you put down?

What size is your driveway?

How long did you wait to see the results?

How/what did you apply it with?

"was it too cold" Well....at what temperature did you apply the product?

Just a few questions someone might ask.

3. chadh

chadh Junior Member
    from pa

to awnser your questions, the ice was about a 1/4 inch thick there was no packed snow, the temps were around 20, the driveways fit about 4 cars, and i used a broadcast spreader to apply a heavy coat of the product. I also waited about 30 minutes and there were no results. hope that helps

4. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I'm not sure why it didn't work. I'm not an expert at this but you should hear the ice starting to "pop" and "crack" once the product starts taking effect. This would be within a few minutes, say 5, after applying the product. The temperature being twenty degrees should not have negatively affected your product, although I've never used potassium chloride, I have used magnesium chloride.

As far as four cars fitting into the driveway, I'd assume somewhere around 250-300 square feet. I'd say about 50-75 lbs. of the product should do the trick. How much (in weight) did you apply with your broadcast spreader?

Now, another issue I ran into when applying salt the other week was the ice already formed b/c I didn't get it down soon enough. Probably similar to your situation. So, the salt was literally sliding off of the ice as I was walking with the broadcast spreader. I had to apply the salt carefully, not walking with my spreader to fast. I waited about 30 minutes and after a few cars drove over it and people walked a little on it, it seems to have "dug into" the ice. Thus helping the effects of the product. Not sure if I'm making any sense. This was for my situation.

5. Rtom45

Rtom45 Junior Member

It may have been a poor quality product with very little active ingredient.

6. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I found this on a website (shown below), this post has peaked my interest a little:

"Potassium chloride (KCl) is a naturally-occurring material that is also used as a fertilizer (muriate of potash) and a food salt substitute. Because of its high salt index and the potential to burn foliage and inhibit rooting, its use is relatively limited."

from this web address:
    http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1996/12-13-1996/deice.html

It is a very interesting article to read.

7. chadh

chadh Junior Member
    from pa

thanks for all your replys, i would have to agree and think i got a poor quality product, becuase i made several passes with the spreader, and used about 50 pounds like you had said, so it should have been a heavy enough coat. So to solve this problem, i returned the unopened bags and purchased calcium chloride insted which worked great, next time i won't go for the cheaper method:)

8. DJL

DJL Senior Member

I guess the old saying, "you get what you pay for" may apply here. Glad to see the other option worked for you.