1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Posts???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CT18fireman, Oct 13, 2001.

1. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

What happened to a lot of the posts??? Is there a problem with Plowsite? :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I know I said the same thing last night had to log on and every post was lit up .what was going on last night ?

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I talked with Eric ELM last night and he told me that the server is having a problem and is working on it. They have a back-up so hopefully it would be fixed soon. I don't think this is something for you to be concerned about.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Mybe it is time for plowsite to change a little. It is awfully big now and seems to often have problems. Maybe it is because of all the repeat posts because people refuse to do searches!!!

5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with you. I have noticed several repeated posts recently and I think it is time for those to stop being lazy and USE THE SEARCH feature FIRST!! If there are previous treads in the search that does not answer your question, then you may start a new tread. Because each time we start a new tread, it takes up spaces available and the repeated posts are taking up unnecessary spaces. Also if there are previous treads that answer your question, the advantage is that you have the answer right away instead of waiting for some of us to post. I must add that the more treads posted in this site, the more time it takes for me to read through some of them and posts. It is taking up some of my time and for those other. So I am asking those to please use the search feature first before starting a new tread.

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

This was actually discussed today at the BBQ. Many people think that the site is a little out of hand. The massive amount of repeat posts may actually be diminishing good discussion from begining. I don't know the answer but think that the problem should be looked into.

7. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

There is so much information on here that the chances of finding a question that hasn't been discussed are slim. If you cannot ask again, there wouldn't be any new discussions. That's what forums are for, new discussions (even about topics discussed previously), not just search and read. If that were the case, delete all members and we can all just search and search till we find our answer.

8. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't think that the point was you can't ask again, but if you did the search you could just posted a reply / followup to the prior post, it would bring it back to the top for all to see and would cut down on the number of duplicate threads.

Just my .02

9. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Well I come here for the same reason that I use other forums. To have a current discussion. If I wanted to search for an answer, I would go to Ask.com

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I agree with you Rob. I would much rather see the posts come back up then have the same question asked again.

11. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

In "real life" if a customer walks in and asks a question, you answer it. And when another customer walks in and asks the same question, do you tell him to go ask the last customer?

As for the board getting "out of hand" perhaps the admin should "prune" (delete) very old topics so that it doesn't get "a little out of hand." I would start by deleting all posts that are more than 1 year old. As you can see, it simply cannot just keep growing and growing. By just keeping a limited period (say 1 years) worth of posts, the amount of server space would remain relatively the same.

I am not saying that doing searches is a bad thing, but I think we should all welcome new posts. Even if a similar question was already asked. It is almost to the point that every possible question has been asked. Discuraging new posts simply because somebody already asked that question 2 years ago is discuraging new members. Why join if you can search through 3 years worth of posts and find your answer? I would imagine that the admin wants new members, even if they do ask repeat questions.

If I were to ask you a specific question today, and then ask the same question 1 year from now, you may have a different answer based on the knowledge that you gained in that year.

In a nut shell, the problem isn't repeat questions. The problem is people that refuse to answer questions that they have already answered. Me, I'll answer the same question. And my answer may be different, maybe even a better answer than my first.

12. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Dave is right, & so are the rest on the other side of the coin. I agree with reviewing questions we've already discussed, because there are new members to share their knowledge, and we may have new experience with whatever the question was. However I would appreciate it if we bring the old discussion up to the top, so we can see what we have already learned & shared with each other & then add any new found knowledge & experiences. Like Dave said, I am probably not going to retype any detailed posts that I have made here. Its not because of a bad attitude, its simply that I hate typing and I've already spent some of my time sharing my experience or knowledge. If I'm at a thread and have to retype the same response I've already done, I feel like the time & effort already spent was wasted and not respected by the other members here. However, if we're bringing the old thread back up, we already know my opinion on the subject, and if I have new experience with the subject to share, I'll be happy to share it. Not sure if my rambling provides a solution, but that's how I feel about the subject.

13. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

I can see the value in bringing old posts back up. But if we keep adding to older posts, they will become very long and take up valuable server space. And we all know how many threads just contain alot of rambling without adding any value to the thread. No BRL, I am not referring to your last post here. ;)

I guess that I have been to forums that do like to keep threads alive forever, but I have also used some that encourage new posts and wipe out the older ones. It may depend on the subject of the threads and/or forum. To me, reading something that was posted 2 years ago seems less valuable than a reply posted within the last week or month.
    We live in "an up to the minute" world.

14. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I'll try to keep this one short for Dave ;)
    You're right about some rambling do nothing threads in here. However, mixed in among those are some great classics that I remember, and the information in them still applies. I don't think there's a satisfactory answer to this argument, both sides have good points (at least I can argue it both ways LOL). However, I do believe from a technical standpoint it uses less server space to add onto an existing long thread, than starting a new one. Pierre would have to answer that one for us.

15. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

IMO, learning is dynamic, and as observed from others posts, advice will change as time passes. Nothing wrong with re-asking, and re-posting, but when the same question comes up within a week of one another, then I may lose some patience...

16. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

thelawnguy I couldn't have said it better myself, and you can see I tried. :) There are so many old posts that with some searches, you get hundreds of results. Then you have to read through all of them to see if your answer is there.

I want to be able to ask a question and get an answer. Yes it may take a day or two to get the answer. But I don't have to sit in front of the computer for hours looking for the answer. Many of us don't have that kind of time. Just a minute to ask it, and then just a minute to read the answer.

Quick and simple. :) Why harvest wheat to make flour to bake bread when you can go to 7-11 and buy a loaf? :D

P.S. I am trying to refrain from posting in this thread again.... really, I am. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2001