1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

posting signs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tilawn, Oct 22, 2008.

1. tilawn

tilawn Member

does anybody post signs on bigger properties, shopping centers, etc. saying something like SNOW REMOVAL IN PROGRESS PLEASE USE CAUTION.

2. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

"they" ( the public) would never pay attention anyways.... waste of money and time IMO. they don't even pay attention to big red and blue flashing lights and sirens.

3. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Yes, and I would suggest you do it. We post all of our sites regardless of size. Even though winter conditions are open and obvious, you need to cover your butt. It will be the first lesson you learn when some klutz or opportunist trys to sue you.

4. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Here's some signs we made up a few years ago. We have sold a number of them and install them at our properties. We created them with the advice of our insurance broker. Will it get you off the hook in the event of a slip and fall? Probably not, but may possibly help in your defence. Its basically an outdoor version of the Wet Floor sign.

Attention signs.jpg

Attention signs.jpg

5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Those look good Johnny. Did your broker also advise you to put your name and number on them?

6. JohnnyRoyale

I personally wouldn't, but it could act as advertising I guess. We generally put the clients name on them when they pay for them The ones we put up at our expense we leave blank.

7. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i guess i never though about putting signs up. where do you place them? entrances? sidewalks?

8. JohnnyRoyale

All of the above. Esp driveway entrances, parking lots, by the no parking signs,

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What would a lawyer do? Sue! Your admitting that's it's slippery and you didn't do your job.

10. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Somw things that you plow, if there slippy it means you did something right

11. JohnnyRoyale

Come on GV. A lawyer will sue u regardless. By posting your stating the obvious-no different than a wet floor sign, construction ahead sign, or electrical hazard. Your not admitting any guilt of gross negligence-simply covering your butt in one respect.is it possible that even if you do your job 110 percent, there may be an icy patch on the property??? Say from someone dumping a pail of mop water on the walkway or clearing their carof snow in the parking lot you just plowed and salted or even if you ran out of salt while salting the lot and someone wipedout while you were off site picking up your salt.

12. tilawn

tilawn Member

About how much does a sign like that cost?

13. JohnnyRoyale

I sell them to PM'S for $89.00 installed.

14. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

i like the thought of something like that. i mean you're just informing people to be a little cautious is all, it's not an excuse for you to do a bad job or anything.

15. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

lol and slip and falls are a lot less likely in those situations, and if it does happen, its usaully 9 months before you have to deal with it..

i think the signs are a good idea... yea in a way you can look at it as an admittance or not doing your job but realistically you cant be on every set 24 hours of every day to make sure a little puddle didnt form and freeze over or something of the sort. i have also seen others that are similar in size and say caution snow removal taking place or something like that, they could also be a good defense tool in a court of law.

16. MB3

MB3 Senior Member

Does not matter is the job is good or terrible, people can sue for an reason they want. How do you really know that they fell in your lot? Unless they have cameras recording every inch of everyday. I knew of a guy who was sued, and it came out in court that they never even fell in their parking lot, here the guy just went aound the town and telling his laywer he fell in someones lot, The guy then would sue everyone, looking for a quick buck.