1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Post Your Craigslist Ad

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by RepoMan207, Oct 31, 2010.

1. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Just wondering how many of us actually use CL for advertising, and what kind of response do you tend to get from it. What if any challenges do you encounter, and how creative do you all get?

2. RepoMan207

from Maine

For longevity purposes...

Publication1.jpg

Publication1.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  3. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

I duno but it seams to be frowned upon if you advertise on craigslist and you are from Ontario.lol. Heck a certin memeber here gives me heck when he spots my adds online. I guess I am not allowed to sell equipment that I no longer have a need for no matter how I word the add.

Usually you get bargain hunters from those online forms of advertising. People think they can make a deal with you. I have not used it to advertise plowing services but I sell my firewood all day long on there and have a few repeat handfull of clients.

Good luck with the adds.

4. RepoMan207

from Maine

I wouldn't listen to that too much, nor would I let some negative bone head influence your advertising practices.

I get more response from CL then any other local advertising. I used 8 different resources last year to advertise in, every week, none of them had any where near the number of responses that CL did....and it's the only one that's FREE.

I've only encountered two situations where bargaining came into play....and even then it was actually bartering. One offered me a few guns in exchange, and the other a POS car. Let's just say, I took one of them up on their offer.

5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I like your ad. Detailed, yet simple and to the point. Hope it brings you lots of work....... Unfortunately CL seems to have a similar rep here as Grassman mentioned.

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

Thanks for the compliment.

I wonder if it's a regionalism thing. Granted, we've all seen our fair share of ridiculous ads on CL; some humorous, some idiotic, but how can one go wrong with free advertising.

7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Your probably right. You live Maine, then there's everywhere else.:laughing: j/k

Free advertising is great....The only advertising I pay for is a very simple phone book/internet listing, and the occasional plug in a local school flier (but that is more for an accuse to contribute to my local community, dont think I've really got any work from them that I can remember). Then of course I have my truck/trailer signs, yard signs, & bus. cards.

8. dmcarpentry

dmcarpentry Senior Member
    from maine

I have had good luck with CL but word of mouth is still my best advertising by far, I am always a little cautious if a customer calls out of the blue with out a reference. They are usually price shopping and are more about price than the quality of service

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I never used CL for snow, but have had real good luck buying and selling other stuff. There's a lot of BS stuff and scams but I've gotten pretty good at telling them so I don't waste time on them. The first clue is is someone just lists "Maine" as the location.

10. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I list personal stuff for sale and list different business ads there almost every day.Yes,you will have wackos there and some people treat you as if you are doing your business like some kind of garage sale mentality.I even had one client[read that almost client] who called me back before I came over for his septic estimate to tell me not to come because his wife found out he found me on CL. I told him I'm also in the phone books,online,my own website,and in the Pennysaver also-what's up with that?He just hung up on me. Go figure.My problem though for the last 6 months or so has been this POS retired plumber who constantly flags my 2 ads under ''materials'' and ''farm and garden.''Technically,a biz isn't supposed to list there but a bunch of us excavators do anyway because they are simply the very best categories for our topsoil and related products.This guy thinks he is the law and order or as I tell him the wannabe Wyatt Earp of CL.

11. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Mabe this individual is like Jiminy Cricket! Do you have a secret conscience? LOL :laughing:

12. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

I used craigslist all last year. Worked very very well for me.

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

I agree that word of mouth is by far the best method of advertisement. But your going to see price shopping just about anytime your services are solicited, whether it be from a current customer's friend, or a newspaper. It's just the nature of the beast. Not to mention the complications that the economy has brought to bare on us in the past recent years; we've all had a hard enough time just keeping our repeat customers, it's all about the $$ signs.

.....that and when the first sentence is "Is this item still avaliable?"....What item you jack a@@.?.?.; I advertised a service.

On another note, I'm pretty sure T Mobile outsourced their 411 operators in the last month, or so. I've called about 24 times in the last few weeks, and every single time, I've had to either spell the listing or the city for them....if not both. Last night I had some guy that couldn't spell "Boston"...who hasn't heard of Boston?? Then when I get sarcastic with them about their accent....they hang up on me! Them damn Abba Daubies (is that spelt right? :rolleyes:) are taking over our country!

Don't even get me started on Chicago! :gunsfiring:

Seriously though.....have you seen our pathetic thread (some of it's actually kind of funny) entitled "You know you're from Maine when..." (Sorry Mercer). All I have to say in my defense is: I have all of my teeth, I don't sleep with sheep or family, and yes, I gradgueatted hi skool. :jester:

14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I've used CL for both advertising and help wanted. A) its free, B) its free, and C) its free. I've had decent luck with finding guys to fill our apps and always have a few calls from people looking for plowing. I never expect any amount of good responses so I'm always pleasantly surprised,lol Most people who advertise for plowing on there need a spelling lesson or at least spell check on their computer so just having an advertisement that has everything spelled correctly puts us ahead of the rest. :D

15. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

That's the one I really get a laugh from. I advertise to buy scrap metal, batteries and catalytic converters. Invariably, I'll get an email asking if the "item is still available". The first time it happened, I actually went back and looked at my ad to see what I'd done wrong; then answered the person that I was BUYING, not selling.:blush2:

16. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I post but rarely get anything from it..... Mostly I'm trying to get some side work for the skids and loaders during the non snow events, but will give an estimate for plowing once in awhile....
    Hell its free......

BTW you both (Ryan and DM) posted on CL after you put up this thread...too funny!.....LOL.....

And yes I just updated mine....LOL

http://maine.craigslist.org/bfs/2036170013.html

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  17. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I've always used Craigslist for buying and selling things. I get waaaay better deals in Mass than I do up here in Maine- at least for buying and selling.

I've picked up 3 driveways this year from 3 weeks of posting on Craigslist, I've since forgotten to put the post back up as my "main" accounts have finally given me their list of properties.

I think it works well overall, a lot of people use craigslist for everything nowadays.

18. m.$terner

m.$terner Senior Member

never used it for snowplowing or snow removal but I do part out cars on the side and ive made pretty good money doing that on there. its free so why not? if you pick something up then so be it, if not wheres the harm? just spell everything correctly and do it neat so its professional looking and hey, who knows

19. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

This happens to me all the time.''Is the item still available?'' or ''what's the condition of the item?'' Then,about once a week I'll get an E-mail that says ''consider the item sold,I will pay your asking price,sight unseen and my agent will provide shipping.''SURE.I don't even respond to those type of responses anymore,its pure unadultrated BS.They are simply either telemarketers,phishers,or both.When I used to respond,I would call them some pretty nasty names and they would say something like ''Thanks for responding'',so I think they're not even reading what's being said.

20. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Whenever I get the "consider it sold, I'll be sending you a check + shipping amount, blah blah blah" I respond back "Thanks A*shole, I just sent your email and IP Address to the FBI. They are scammers from a distant land.