1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Post-Trip Maintenance??

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by toast, Dec 8, 2007.

1. toast

toast Member

Just wondering what I should do for maintenance after using the plow, are you supposed to do anything to the cylinders i.e. WD-40? Unfortunately, neither my truck, or my plow get to stay indoors. Currently, I wash my truck, and allow the plow to warm up enough to melt the snow in the garage, but the truck doesn't fit, and the plow has to go back on before the evening is over. What else should I do to ensure she stays in running order?

I already had the pump freeze, flushed it, and put in Amsoil synthetic ATF, works great now, and I want to keep it that way! Its an 8.5 ft Uni-mount.

Thanks in advance!
    Mike

2. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

Here is what I think SHOULD be done after every event when time allows.

Wash truck and plow completely and allow both to dry completely in a heated environment.

Check plow connections, pins, brackets, etc. Apply Fluid Film as needed to surfaces.

Check fluids and top off as needed, replensich truck supplies, clean out truck, clean and dry interior if needed.

Check all truck and plow lights for function.

Update plowing lists, descriptions, etc.

Plow:
    Spray cylinders down with FF and wipe along with all moving plow components, grease plow zerks, check fluid level and inspect for water contamination, inspect hoses, couplers, etc.

Truck:
    Inspect tires, driveline components, look for fluid leaks and/or damage, clean windows if needed, check ALL fluids and top them off....period, check tire pressures, carefully inspect all electrical connections under the hood for possible problems, check all lights and verify function of signals brake lamps etc.

One of the best tools for maintaining your truck is eyes and ears. An hour or two for the truck and plow can save you several hundred if not thousands of $$$$ along with time and headaches. I wish more of our guys would pay attention to the little things. They usually pound on trucks till there is nothing left, then tell me that they have no idea what happened.

Good luck fellas and ladies.