1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

post seasonal pavement repairs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NorthernSvc's, Jun 29, 2014.

1. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

Anyone have a clause in their contract to prevent you being liable for pavement repairs upon completion of the season - I am talking about degredation of the pavement from normal wear and tear - pot holes - etc...

obviously if a skid steer tore into the pavement i would fix it, im just talking about normal breakdown - spalling, cracks etc...

If you wouldnt mind sharing i would love to see what you all have in your contracts...
  2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I've had to deal with this a few times, and it's not fun. Just add verbiage to your contract stating that you are not responsible for the age or integrity of their hard surfaces (asphalt, concrete, storm drains, etc.) and that it must be able withstand the forces of plow trucks, loaders with pushers, etc. in the act of removing snow and ice. Also add that it is normal to experience heaving during the winter and that this is beyond your control.

We also state we are not responsible for asphalt curbing or speed bumps. Asphalt curbing by its nature has a difficult time holding up to normal bumping, and speed bumps of any variety are nothing but a hazard for plow trucks. They can damage your equipment and hurt your operator.
  3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I can't speak to anywhere else in the country but around here parking lots are designed to hold delivery trucks. While a delivery truck can weigh in around 80,000 pounds there's a lot of displacement over 18 wheels. Parking lots aren't designed to have 3-5 yard loaders, or larger, running around on them. I hope your customers don't realize how much a loader weighs and what it actually does to their pavement.