1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Post season use of plow mounts....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Moosehunter, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

Howdy All....

With all of these L-O-N-G waits between plowable events, my mind (or lack of one :dizzy: ) wandered into a new area I've not dealt with before...... What can I do with the truck side plow mounts AFTER the snow season is over and done?

I was thinking that with a bit of creative engineering I could adapt or build some type of front end/brush guard to use the plow mounts as a lower mounting point. Seems to me that a manufacturer has already done this, but the name escapes me.

Does anyone know of such a thing? Has anyone done this? I'm not real good with welding, but with my seventeen years as a mechanical draftsman, I'm sure I could draw one up for a fab shop.

What do you think? Any ideas?

2. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I think that it is Meyers that has the brush guard that fits into the truck mount. It's the newer round style mount.
  3. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Around here a couple guys have big brushes on their trucks during the summer/spring. Clean gravel off roads at construction sites. Could always get into that market..

The push bar really sounds like a cool idea. But the mount for a plow is low so woudn't be off-roading material.
  4. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

You are right, I think it's purely for looks.
  5. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I have a set of pallet forks that mount in my meyer frame for moving light pallets <1000#. I built it because I bought a 7 hp 80 gallon compressor and when it was delivered the guy was a PITA and wouldnt let us use his pallet jack to move it into the shop, it weighed around 750# and a hand cart was out of the question. so I picked it up with the homemade forks, total weight was around 900# and the e-47 handled it fine
  6. paponte

paponte Senior Member

The blizzard looks liek a pushbar when the plow isn't on. You can leave the lights on it, or take them off. :cool:
  7. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

I was thinking of at least attempting to make a brush guard/push bar that mounts to my plow undercarriage. Bowtie-guy is right, the mount is very low. With the amount of deer/car collisions around here, it might not be a bad idea.:D
  8. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

There's some good ideas here!!

The mounts from my Western Ultramount aren't really that low, but you're right bowtie_guy, it would be mostly for looks. Offroading material.... probably not.

I wonder if you could either adapt an existing product (brush guard/bull bar type) or fab up some type of bracket to make that type of install work.

OR.... Should I go the complete CUSTOM design route? But you know what that means...payup

Keep those ideas comin'!!! In the mean time, I'll break out the AutoCAD and see what happens...

9. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Just remember that the plow frame is for pushing and not pulling. If you do make a brush guard, don't mount a winch on it or try to pull any thing. Even if your best Buddy calls you up at 2 AM and is 4 feet deep in mud.
  10. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

If my best buddy called at 2 AM and was 4 feet deep in mud, my guess it was caused by way too much of this :drinkup: I'd bring him a pot of coffee and a shovel. :D
  11. PushIt

PushIt Junior Member

Meyer makes a winch mount that fits onto the empty plow mount. It holds Warn and Ramsey. I saw it on their website under new products.
  12. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I have a Westin safari bar that I'm working on making fit in my meyer mount, the meyer mounts are easy to mount accessories to.
  13. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My best buddy calls at 04:00am it's going to cost a lot of :drinkup: :drinkup: Later in the day, the good stuff too!

D'MAXXDIESAL Junior Member

this might help you... .its the meyers EZGARD.. its on their site under new products

15. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Ya he said that he would buy me a case or 2.

I could not get him out using 2 of my trucks and another.

No he had nothing to drink. A lot of my Friends are off roaders. He simply didn't have a spotter. K-5 blazer with 9 inch lift 44 inch tires to the frame in mud. 1 gas truck and 2 diesel trucks could not pull him out.

Called a tow truck, $600.00. Plus he had to pay for a 100,000 lb winch that broke.

The reason it was so muddy, we were in the middle of a large storm. The tornado siren even went off while we were out there.
    Trespassing on private land, in the middle of a thunderstorm, tornado sirens going off- Thats the best time to off road according to them.
  16. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Seems to me that it would be the responsibility of the tow truck company to cover the cost of the winch repair. I don't think your buddy was holding a gun to the operators head. The operator broke it, the operator should fix it, hense the $600.00 recovery bill.
  17. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

That was my feeling also. If we break our plows than do we charge our customers, no.

We were trespassing on private property, and that cost was $150 just for the tow driver to do the same with out calling the cops. So he really wasn't in a position to argue to much. By the way people out in this off road place leave cars/trucks that don't run or get stuck. With in a day or 2 some person would have run it over- literally- or set fire on it- no joke.
  18. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

You are not talking about Lock & Dam, are you? That speudo private off road area by the Ford plant? I used to wheel there all the time with Iron Horse.
  19. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

No. It is here in Crystal Lake. The owner's name is Gabors? I think, so that is what every body calls it. I stopped taking my truck off road it costs to much to fix. My truck is one of those $800 trucks. you know, what ever the repair is the cost is $800.
    Ball Joints$800

you get the idea.
  20. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

The best off-season use of a plow mount that I've ever seen was at a marina: A 1 7/8 inch trailer hitch ball mounted on the end of the a-frame where the plow should be. So you have a front-mounted trailer hitch (great for maneuvering boat trailers into tight spots) plus it has power up and down. Very simple -- very slick.

Jeff Pierce