1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

post office?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FAST87BIRD, Oct 16, 2009.

1. FAST87BIRD

FAST87BIRD Junior Member
    from akron

go a call today to bid a post office. They want a two year contract, roughly about 10000 square feet, dont see it to take me more than a half hour or so and then salt. any advice or ideas on bidding a job like this for multiple years?

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

got a call from one a could of days ago. Met with the boss and he told me the numbers of the guy who used to do it. he was not happy with him the last couple of years and wanted to get rid of him. I told him I can do those numbers and wrote up estimate. Very easy lot to do and he seems pretty laid back. The old company tried to put a surcharge in on salt when prices rose two years ago. Did not go over well them. I have to wait and see if I win it. It is close to me and would be a nice little side job, All I heard is they are slow payers in some cases.

3. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I have been doing post office and postal center lots for 4 years now.

I will tell you around here it all depends on who is in the office calling the shots. I had one last ear that was a transfer from California and had no clue about snow and looked at the cost as someone stealing from her personally.

We do another in another town where the guy would not care if we were there 24/7 as long as the employee lot and public area was clear. This center had numerous workman comp cases against them for employees slipping or pulling their backs in the snow.

Did another where the guy treated it with a 2" trigger and salt on ice only.

I will tell you this. Get very specific on the contract. I mean every sq inch of what is cleared because at some point or time they will want numbers and maybe pictures.
    Make sure you have the go ahead from the district manager before doing and billing for any extra work no matter how nice the guy at the building is. This includes moving piles or stacking snow with a bobcat or even removing it from the lot.

Unless instructed by management stay away from and do not listen to their maintenance guy. Be very careful of the employees walking around the truck trying to get hurt. Trucks out at night can be a real pain as well. Al in all it is a pretty nice deal if the manager realizes what it takes. If you get a pissy one tho expect a fight for every second charged.
    Somewhere in their contracts they also put the clause in to drop at any time for any reason.

You are right about slow pay. The guy I contract to waits up to 10 months.
    Detail is everything with them and it was zero tolerance at most of the places we did which made for a real nice couple of years lately.

Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  4. McVey Landscaping

McVey Landscaping Member

I have been taking care of a post office for a 2 years now. It can be a pain with the loading ramps, and limited area to stack snow. We remove stacks 2 or 3 times a year. We take care of all the walks. They need it done several times durning an event to get trucks in and out. Never had any complaints from them, they pay good.

5. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

who is a Point of Contact for the post office? Is it mainly just the Postmaster?

6. FAST87BIRD

FAST87BIRD Junior Member
    from akron

you have to contact the post master to make sure they are still looking for bids. In my area they only take 3 bids per building.They called me on this one i never had an interest till they called, but hey you can turn down work.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Still waiting to find out if I got mine back that I lost last year.

8. grnstripes

grnstripes Senior Member

my post office I do dosn't even put it out to bid she just tells me to get her a price so she can enter it and as long as it is resonable and dosn't dramatically change she just enters it. pay comes in about 2-3 weeks after I drop off the bill. same with the summer contract

9. plowmaster07

plowmaster07 Senior Member

I put a bid in on one post office in the area a few weeks ago. The bidding's done, the postmaster said he'll call me with in the next few days. I keep you guys updated... If I get the contract I'll get pics up here. :D

10. 04bluediesel

04bluediesel Junior Member
    from Ohio

I worked for a few post offices in the past. I always try to get 2 year deals. The ones I worked for the PM was good to work for and was fair. When a new PM comes in during a contract alot of them like to change things up and hire all new contractors. They will cancel contracts and don't try to fight it because you will loose. Maybe this will help.

11. plowmaster07

Well I lost that one, first, the PM didn't say that he wanted it bid per storm, I bid per trip. So someone low balled me, it's cool though, I still have a **** load of driveways to do.payup:redbouncexysportpayup

12. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

That "per storm" billing is something I would NEVER EVER EVER do. We had a thread about that last year. Talk about a way to get it shoved up your rear end. Just one example: you get 8 inches of light fluffy snow and have to plow it 3 or 4 times, The next day it gets windy and blows snow all over lot, its drifting, you go back and do it again, maybe twice, do you get paid? It didn't snow. So you could potentially plow it 4 or 5 times and get paid for 1 "storm", Crazy.

13. grandview

And I'm still waiting for a reply .He didn't even send the paper work in .

14. plowmaster07

Yeah i see your point, If you wanted to quote that way, then your price would have to be high enough that it will compensate you for those instances. But then there's a good chance that you wont get the job period, because of all the low bidders.

Aaron

15. grandview

Found out today I didn't get my post office. He's going with a guy who is double what the other guy charged but half of what I charged. Or simply 1,000 for the season. Also found out it's his first year plowing and also works at one of the other post offices.So i'm not sure what he's going to do during the day when it needs to be plowed.

16. plowmaster07

Well that's simple, he's going to be going on a lot of breaks about 45minutes a piece. lol. Well, the chance to bid it will be there next year. xysport But it's very weird how they decided who to give the contract to, almost wonder if the guy has real good connections with a few of the Post masters.

Good luck,
    Aaron

17. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

87bird. which post office u bidding on? i will second the motion to not listen to the maintenance guy. he effed up the landscaping for me on one this year. made me look like the bad guy to the postmaster.

18. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I have plowed the usps for 9 years
    your wrong, they take all the bids than send 3( of their choice) to California

you only can plow them for 10 years than they must change for 2 years

19. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Found out what lots I will be doing today as well. The post office is out. New ones I did get (not post office) are much closer to house tho and I'll take that any day.

20. FAST87BIRD

FAST87BIRD Junior Member
    from akron

suzuki, i bid on the mogadore and the kent post offices. your local you have probably seen my stuff, i am based out of mogadore.