1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Post cards are working

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Brian Young, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Finally got our post cards in Monday and spent 2hrs stuffing plastic door hanger's last night. Had an employee hand out about 300 today and had 5 calls before 4pm, not too bad.
  2. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

I have always wanted to do that but am too scared to do it... Thumbs Up time to nut up or shut up i guess
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Buck up and mail them!
  4. Brian Young

I think you get further with the customer's you meet and get talking to, plus I know they were delivered where I want them. We're targeting 3 subdivisions and each year we seem to get a few more.
  5. grandview

That's why I use a mailing company,you pick the area right down to the street.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

I tie them to rocks and throw them through windows in the areas i want to work in.You are guaranteed 100% of people will call you back with this method.
  7. Brian Young

LOL That was funny! :laughing:
  8. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Ben: I learn something new everyday !!!! LMAO !!!!!
  9. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

LMAO:laughing::laughing::laughing: Your very right, I bet 100% will callThumbs Up
  10. getsum

getsum Senior Member
    from USA

JUST SPIT MY BUD LIGHT OUT A BIT HAHAHAHA:laughing: :laughing:
  11. R3Dside

R3Dside Member

is that a nationwide chain? something that would work for me? or just a local biz. Im looking at the mailer route (to the exact housing divisions i want, not all over town) but havn't decided exactly how to execute it yet.
  12. grandview

Check with your Chamber of Commerce if you have one,there is always a local company that does direct mailing. what you do is pick the areas you want then they buy a mailing list .I think it cost around 100.00 for 10,000 addresses. Have a postcard design ,Most of these companies can help you from start to finish. But check a couple out ,prices may vary as to what they mark up.
  13. phillie

phillie Member
    from indy

Depending on how much time you have, you could use zillow.com to get addresses. I direct mail for my Lawncare company and it does well, but I only do that for the expensive neighborhoods. Other neighborhoods I use door hangers. Direct mail is worth it but can be expensive, dont expect 1 mailing to get you alot of customers. It takes repeated mailings to the same addresses, at least for me it did.
  14. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Im pretty sure vista print does this same thing. Im pretty sure thats what i came across last time i got one of those emails for "FREE business Cards! *just pay $20 in shipping"

Im right they do-do this

Click the link for a quote!
    For full color postcards, postage for 250 and a targeted consumers list its like almost 200 bucks. ,007 For each contact.

lol I guess where i live we must be really lame or something. Its on .05 cents for each name. Each card came down to .50 a piece im not gonna get them but thats good to know!
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  15. NickT

NickT Senior Member

16. Brian Young

Your right it does take multiple mailings or in our case door hangings. Honestly, as soon as the calls were coming in they stopped. It's funny around here, people wait to the last minute, I had people calling last year and the year before in the last week of Nov. to schedule from this area. We're still getting calls but now it's more like 1 or 2 a week. Nice thing is, it only takes 1 or 2 customer's to make your money back.
  17. phillie

phillie Member
    from indy

Ya, true on the 1-2 customers if you direct mail on a smaller scale like me. One thing to remember is that if you design your own card you have to leave space for the label. I didnt leave enough space and had to cover some of the design so the machine at the post office wasnt messed with by some of the design. I have been doing all of the address gathering, labeling, designing, stamping, and mailing. Its way cheaper to do it yourself but a huge hassle. One day, I'll be able to outsource it. I'm only in year 2 of my business.
  18. brianaaron

brianaaron Junior Member

if anyone needs a residential mailing list send me an email. i have an unlimited salesgenie account. i can pull anything you need and i will do it for free, well i may ask some advice.
  19. x.system

x.system Senior Member

I was in my local bank a couple weeks ago where I have my business account and the teller tells me they are promoting local business's and ask if I would be interested in doing a display. I said sure, ran down and had 500 flyers made up in about 30 minutes, took those and around 300 business cards in to her the next day and she set it all up. I got a cleanup job the same day she set it up and have had calls almost every day. Got about 20 new snow accounts all within 3 miles of the shop. I went in today to get my leftover cards and flyers and she says they are all gone. I am expecting a lot of last minute calls or calls when it gets deep.
  20. Brian Young

Good for you! Thumbs Up A major factor in advertising is repetitive mailings, radio ads etc. We're still getting calls here and there and just as I expected the last of our usual customer's called yesterday and the day before to set up plowing, we've already been out salting one time and had plowable snow a few miles south of us. We ended up picking up 3 new plowing customer's and a few fall clean up's out of it. One clean up took care of the price for the cards x 4. I was hoping to pick up a few more plowing customer's but each year we pick up 2-4 more in the same area. Price of cards-225.00, expected income from signed customers and fall clean ups 3k...not too bad.