1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Possibly turning our 09 Chevy Silverado 3500 into a Dump Truck/ Dually.

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rusty_keg_3, Feb 24, 2010.

1. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Ok,we are thinking about turning our 2009 Silverado 3500HD into a dump truck. Well, our truck is a single rear wheel, its an 8 ft bed.

We are are wondering what you have to do to make it a dually. Since its a 1 ton, we heard you could just switch up some stuff, or do you just gotta swap the rear-ends?

Also, what body would you suggest, i was thinking the kind where the 3 sides flip down (for easy unloading). I know a lot of people like aluminum, but its more expensive, and i heard that dents easily. We would use it in the winter for salt, and for mulch, and brush in the summer.

Also, without any changes to the trucks frame, how big of a bed can you put on it? Like cant you put a 10 ft dump on it?

Lastly what dumping mechanisms would you suggest? (what ever the technical name is)...

Any suggestions/ info would be greatly appreciated.

Silverado 16.jpg

russ 0278.jpg

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Maybe you should just trade it in for a dump. Seems like a lot of work to convert, but I've never had it done or priced it out. Do you think you will save money doing the conversion over the trade? Have you run any numbers for what it will cost?

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The cost to put a dump bed on will be the same as starting with a new cab and chassis. You can sell your current bed to offset some of the expense. Any good truck upfitter should be able to give you a complete quote. I'm not sure if there is a difference in the rear axle between a SRW and DRW. You might be able to just put some Budd style rims on and go. You will need the adapter to put on the front hubs for the Budd rims to work.

I would think a 9 foot bed would be the max without lengthening the frame.

4. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

I have no useful insight other then I think dually axles are slightly less wide then single wheel axles, But what I really wanted to say was if you end up doing it, MAKE SURE YOU GET ALOT OF PICTURES!

5. WIPensFan

I looked online at some chassis cabs and tried to compare them to standard pickup such as yours. There are quite a few differences such as overall length, weight capacity and wheel base length. I don't know if this switch over is as straight forward as you think. I'm not an expert though, and I'm interested to here someone's expert opinion.

6. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

The dually axle for dually pickups is about 4 inches wider than yours. You can get 2-inch spacers that bolt to your axle and allow mounting duals. This allows the cupped-in tire to not rub the spring. Your axle already has the same bearings, axle shafts, and brakes that the dually gets so no worries there. The axle for a Cab-n-Chassis dually is narrower than yours. The frame rails for a C&C truck are closer together which allows the axle to carry dual wheels without the excess vehicle width. Also, the cab-to-axle length is 3 more inches on a C&C truck. These slight differences will make mounting a dump bed (which is certainly sized for a C&C frame, not your frame) a little more challenging. Custom fabrication will include more than just hinge mounts and hoist install. Due to the width of your frame, you cannot mount a C&C dually axle under your frame which means that even if you do manage to mount the bed, your outside dually tire will protrude several inches outside the dump box.

If you want best bang-for-the-buck, just buy another truck that already has a dump bed on it. You'll be money ahead in the long run and won't mess up a perfectly good truck.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  7. WIPensFan

WOW! Sounds like we found an expert.:drinkup:

8. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Buy a new truck, no matter how well you do it you will still have a converted ass raped piece of crap that will never match what the vin number says it is

9. Mvplc2010

Mvplc2010 Junior Member

WOW. Thats a lot of work for a truck conversion. Personally. I would just try and locate a nice stake-body bed for it. That might be kind of hard since its such a new truck but you never know. Then i would keep the SRW and put an air leveler kit on instead. the dually really isnt going to make or break you if you put that leveler kit on. heres the website. give it a try. this is actually a pretty cheap alternative. http://www.arnottindustries.com You have an awesome truck. dont ruin it. with the DRW. You could also put a dump bed insert in it. thats what im planning on doing with my truck this spring. I also think there are kits that can make your stock bed dump that is on your truck now but i think you lose payload. Buyers just came out with a new dump insert with great ratings. http://www.dumperdogg.com/

MVPLC2010
    2003 Chevy 2500HD 6.0L 8' Wester Pro Plow Snow-ex 575 Spreader
    2005 Ford F250 6.0L PSD. 8'-10' Western Wideout

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  10. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Why not just leave it a single rear wheel? I have seen them and they don't look that bad.

11. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

why dont you just put some woooden sides on it and by the hydraulic kit that turns a regular bed into a dump bed. I think you can get the heavy duty ones for like $2,000 and I've heard you can dump bout 4000lbs. As long as yoyur not hauling a crazy load I think it'd work well

12. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I really like my SRW aluminum dumps. I don't think the addition weight that the dually's offer is worth the extra tires,brakes,fuel. SRW plows better,travels through highway slush better, and has a tighter turning radius. JMO

Starfleet 005.jpg

13. WIPensFan

IDK about all that Mr. Markus. Mine does all those things real well and turns tight too! Plus It will haul more weight, and resell for more $$ when I go to sell it and retire to a warm fuzzy place.:D I'm not saying yours don't work well for doing what you need done, just adding some benefits of the dually set-up. BTW, your trucks look good, and the aluminum is a plus in winter.

14. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I don't think making his 09 a dually will increase the value of his truck. I think this guy wants to do it more for looks than carrying capacity.

15. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Equipment is paid for... I plan on driving it into the ground:D
    I hear retirement is overrated and the extra couple grand won't get me warm and fuzzy. Probably only a couple cases of beer by the time I'm there.:laughing:

16. rusty_keg_3

Ok...

1. Insert... We have thought about it... BUT, if we get a dump bed, we can put a tailgate spreader on it... We have a huge problem with our salt freezing in our v-box... So when it freezes we climb in there with shovels, hammers, and spudbars. Then we have to scoop it all out... Which is a pain... With a dump we could just pull the dump off, and dump it...

2. Dump Bed w/ SRW... We have thought about it too, but i have heard you cant carry as much, and some1 said that some places wont set it up for you if its not DRW...I heard its not as stable with the dump up in the single rear wheel...

3. Selling the Truck... This truck is all paid off, and the second we drove it off the lot, the value dropped a ton... So we would loose ous A$$ (we think)....

I think thats the 3 big ones...

17. rusty_keg_3

Lets say we went with the SRW, and threw a bed on it... Legaly how big of a bed could we put on it. Or what would be best. Would we just be limited to a 8ft bed?

Mr. Marcus... Any more pics of your NBS?

And you lose a volume with the inserts...

18. rusty_keg_3

19. BDEMOTT

BDEMOTT Senior Member

all that kit does is allow bigger rims and tires like the ones on semi's to be installed on your already DRW truck. It doesnt convert anything other than the stud pattern to fit the bigger rims

20. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I believe the hardest part of this whole equation is going to be getting the label on the door jamb changed to reflect a heavier GVW. I'm fairly sure all the work would have to be done by an upfitter, and seeing they'd be signing off on some serios liability, it's gonna cost a lot of payuppayuppayup.

I'd suggest trading in/selling one of the vehicles and buying what you really need before attempting to convert a near new truck over.