1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Possibly starting up a buisness

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Lcff61, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Lcff61

Lcff61 Junior Member
    from NJ

Hi guys, im new to the whole business and was thinking about starting a small plowing buisness and trying to pick up like 5-10 residential driveway accounts, what kind of equipment would i need to start, what should i be charging, etc. Atm the only truck i have is a 08 nissan titan se long bed and i was looking at the western hts plow, would i need to do any mods to my truck?

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

First, your gonna need insurance, not cheap. Throw a set of Timbrens on your truck to handle the weight and about 600 lbs. of ballast behind the rear wheels. Find someone to sub for while you grow your biz. Unless you buy a used plow, plan on not turning a profit till after your first or second season .

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

for 10 to 15 residential accounts use a snowblower.

4. Agree with plowmeister on this one......its a little too late to be entering the game for this winter anyway. Put the blower in your truck and go find some houses that need done. Then save whatever $ you make to use towards getting a plow and whatever else you need for next year and take the time to educate yourself on the business before deciding if its what you want to do......you will find alot better deals on plow setups in the spring anyhow, once people realize that if you don't know what you are doing or what you were getting into that there is no magical "pot-o-gold" in snow removal.

5. Lcff61

Lcff61 Junior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the advice guys, i guess ill try to find some driveways to snowblow for now and research more so next winter if i feel im ready i will be able to go into the business educated.

6. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Welcome to PlowSite!

If and when you start plowing, everybody usually will say to Sub for a company to get experience and knowledge. You may have the option of using your own truck or you can learn on their truck. You can learn about costs, procedures, etc. and get a good taste of getting up at all hours of the night. Eventually when you learn the ropes, and if you want, you may decide to get a few of your own customers.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

dont do it
    save yourself alot of headaches

8. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

hydro, how many years have you been having these head aches?:))

9. hydro_37

from iowa

too damn many years ....20 plus

10. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

That's a lot of years to have headaches. How many years did it take for the headaches to start?

11. hydro_37

from iowa

worst was the first years and they are tolerable now

12. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

i agree payup

13. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

its easier and you do not need all that insurance for now.
    i know guys that have ins and i know most do not. you know in NJ things are going to cost a lot with ins any way i would try and price out ins first this way you know what you are looking at next year....

14. Ben's Landscape

Ben's Landscape Junior Member

agreed! i do about 10-20 drives per storm and have a nice ariens 8 hp 24 in cut that works great. its almost better than plowing because you dont get a lot of banks or have the trouble of where to put the snow. But thats just my opinion I have not plowed! Also just get some good aluminum ramps (mine ran about $150) they will not allow the snow blower to slid down them and are light. Also there is almost no wear and tear on your truck and its a lot cheaper! HAHAHA but obviously if you are doing larger driveways, parking lots, or many drives then this wont work but this is just my .02

15. Mrplow247

Mrplow247 Member

I would say it's way too late in the year as well, and if you only do 10-15 per year it wont be enough cash to make it worth it, period. Unless they are less than 5 miles from your house and all next to eachother you will be spending 25-35 dollars in gas and however much on your insurance. And with so many lowballers these days you have no choice but to ignore the people that are expecting the low rates, or sink down and bust your ass for the cheap asses that think that paying less is going to be better than paying someone a little more that will give good service.

Think if it snows 20 times that requiring plowing this will be at least 400 in gas(at least)
    At some point something will break, it will happen. no matter what equipment you have. i got away with only spending 200 dollars this year on equipment : )
    then you will be paying a couple hundred at least in insurance. So plan on spending at least 1500-2000 total for the year.
    if you have 10 customers that pay 350 per year which around me is almost never, then you will earn 3500 dollars.
    this is not factoring in your truck payment cuz i doubt your trucks paid off, and the purchase of your new plow. so as you can see you are already losing your ass and you havent woken up at all hours of the night yet.....listen to these other guys that are telling you to avoid the headache. they know what they are ta;king about

16. deepinit

deepinit Junior Member
    from Pa

Get the blower, forget the plow at this point in the game. Next year sign customers up early and then you'll get a better idea if you're gonna need a plow. small number of resi's probably not worth the headache and all the costs the plows bring with 'em.

17. Mr.Freezzz

Mr.Freezzz Member
    from Utah

Nice truck or small rig not really a truck.. Point is dont beat that little baby rig get a older f250 or such and a small 7 foot blade. Or just start with shovel snowblower and atv with plow. Bagged salt and a scotts fertilizer.

18. TSherman

TSherman Member

My brother handles a ton of resi accounts with a quad with a 5 foot and 4 foot plow, and a guy with 2 snow blowers. He can do my whole resi route of about 35 accounts in 10 hours +/-. I could never hope to do it with my plow in less than 14. That little thing gets in all over the place and really does a nice job. I would recommend that for what you have. It will cost roughly what a plow for that "truck" of yours and will be better for the job. Unless you are planning on a real plow truck. By real I mean, old, paid for, and ready for the abuse winter takes on them.

19. Mrplow247

Mrplow247 Member

i would think a titan is a full size truck? lots of people plow with frontier, s10, ranger, etc.

why cant you plow with a full size titan