1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Possibly my new back up truck?????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bad Luck, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

2. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

3. Scottish Lscape

Scottish Lscape Member

4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

I believe that is a GMC... the emblem on the sides say Sierra if I read them correctly...(did Chevy Make a Sierra model???) but then again they could have come off another truck... The tires would most have to go at they look like they would float over the snow... He states the truck has been lifted, and it looks like the plow mount has not been modified to keep the blade attack angle correct... the brake line in the engine compartment look like they have been mangled and never fixed...

5. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Good point. Chevy grill, GMC tags on fenders, dash, and stearing wheel.

6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Well the steering wheel is off of a lat 80's GMC truck.... might be worth $2500-$3000 depending on how well everything operated... Dos not look like much rust, but how buck has been patched/filled in...Might be worth a trip to check it out if your really interested...

7. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

We'll see what happens. I sent the owner an e-mail. It's a pretty tough looking rig. Who knows what shape that bed is in.

8. go plow

go plow Senior Member

I live in winsted, ive never seen this truck on the road before, anyway you never know if one of my friends owns it, if you find out who owne it let me know, i might know them . if so i could talk to them for you/ or find out the real scoop on the truck for you ....

9. go plow

go plow Senior Member

come to think about it, there was a rusted out green truck that looked like that truck.... hmmmm lol

10. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

id go for it, them trucks are bullet proof

11. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

if so first thing I would do is get rid of that open air filter. it looks like a bit of snow/water/etc gets splashed up in there so that is no good.

12. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

first thing I noticed is the lack of locking hubs. That means it has a full time 4wd system. Makes for a lousy driver, wears everything out faster and wastes gas. It is good it has all the brakes and frontend done, thats stuff you normally expect to do to an old truck. The truck has a body lift, which is why the plow frame sits where it is, because it is connected to the frame. It is too high because of the big tires, not the lift. the tires have to go, they are too wide for snow and they dont look like theres much tread anyway. I would pull the toolboxes off so you can see better. I'm not certain but the plowframe looks narrow, maybe its only a 7 1/2'? A 3/4 would work better with an 8 footer. If it is a 7 1/2 frame it wont accept an 8' blade. Seems odd that he doesnt identify what size engine it is, or trans for that matter. Not that it really matters as long as it runs strong. A 305 is darn near as good as a 350 in my opinion. The full time 4x4 can be changed with a kit, but its a lot of work and a lot of money, and do you really want to do that much to a cheap truck you're buying as a backup? I guess if you think you could live with the fulltime 4wd and the lousy tires, it would be okay, it looks fairly solid. But I think $2500 is all I'd give, and that's only if I couldnt find something better that didnt need tires. And I'm sure I could. I need to figure out how to post pics so I can show off the plow truck I just got.

13. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Lower the truck and put narrow tires on it!

Lots of good ideas so far,I know I would want it stock height with 235/85/16's or something that will dig in the snow and ice and not float on top like fat tires do.
    Now if you where buying it to play in the woods and go mudding then it looks good.
    Another question is will it pass state inspection?I know it wouldnt in Mass and I am pretty sure it wouldnt in NH because of the lift at the very least.
    As mentioned before , full time 4x4 not good on fuel or wear and tear.
    Look around, I have seen many 3/4 ton 4x4 with plows stock in the $1,500 range that will pass inspection.
    This is one that I just found in Uncle Henry's for example;

1985 Chevy 2500 custom deluxe 4X4 350 auto 400 trans w\ 8ft fisher plow runs daily. $1200 Friendship, ME

Contact Information

Call 207-354-0132

Last edited: Oct 30, 2005
  14. go plow

go plow Senior Member

also be aware that even though it looks good in the pictures, what would it look like in person???? with a gallon of bondo ,and a spray gun, and a weekend with nothing to do, you can make any truck look good, but will it last???? PROB. NOT.....all the trucks ive seen that have lifts, and mods, are just that , MODS!! the plow frame might be a fisher, but the blade might be a meyer with a custom -A- frame to fit the fisher head gear........who knows....
    then you get the thing home and find out what it really needs.... not worth it .... my rule of thumb is, if its less then 10k , IT NEEDS!!!!! i understand having a spare truck on hand is a great relief, but will it run when you need it the most?, and will it cost you 10k to keep it on the road???? if you really want a spare truck,buy some thing that you could get use out of ,and not just sit when not needed....buy your wife a SUV, put a plow on that, not she has a nice car, that gets used, when your plow truck breaks, take hers!!!! lol lol... sorry just my thoughts..... maybe i just think to much!!! good luck to you!!!