1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

possibly looking to buy my first ford

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by buckwheat_la, Jul 6, 2010.

1. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

looking at possibly buying a 2000+ newer ford diesel, how do these stack up against the dodges and chevs? Which years come highly recommended, any info is welcome.

2. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Don't get a 2005; that's the bad year! Do get a 2008 - 2011

3. buckwheat_la

2008/2011, is there a reason i am finding a lot of the 2003-2007 fords out there

4. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

03-07 had a lot of problems with the 6.0 diesel...the 7.3's are apparently the best...i just bought an 08 6.4 and absolutely love it

so yes there is a reason why you are seeing a lot of those years for sale, that is if you are looking for diesel

5. buckwheat_la

i am looking for diesel, the 5.4l are not enough engine for me

6. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

7. bterry

bterry Senior Member

The mileage my '08 is getting is terrible I but love the truck. This one is my 5th Ford truck, still have two others. The 08 and up years are still pretty pricey and there's still tons of good 99-07's out there with gobs of life left in them. I'm guessing because you're looking for a truck up to 10 years old, you probably don't want to spend a small fortune for one - that pretty much does the 08 and up model years out. If you go for a 6.0, find one with good service records. If I could build one - I'd put a '03 7.3L in an 08-10 body/chassis. If I wanted another mortgage payment - I'd buy a 2011. I'm thinking you may want to look for a low mileage '03 with some creature comforts or nice upgrades.

My second choice would be a Dodge. Lot's of cheap power and easy to work on if less than an 07 - pretty sure that's when they changed over to the emission choked engines. Dodge makes a decent truck for the money, but get a Ford if you've got the extra cash.

I've been a Chevy fan for many years, never for a truck though. I'm sure there a many good ones, but I've just never liked them for what ever reason.

8. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I have owned 6 Power strokes, and a few dodges with cummins. There is no comparison, the cummins is a great motor, but i hated the rest of the dodge. For a good price I would look for a low millage 01-03 power stroke. Make sure the 03 is a 7.3 not a 6.0. If you want to spend more money the later 6.0's were good trucks. the 06-07 6.0's were good trucks.
    Robert

9. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I agree with rob I have an 07 6.0 and I do love it. It pulls anything asked and pushes snow great. I only have about 50000 miles on it so not sure about long term but so far it has been all you can ask. Father ahs a 7.3 and it has also been a great truck. My beliefs, if it is a work truck leave it stock, out of all of my friends that have diesels the only one withh engine problems before 150,000 had a chip in it.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Stick with a 7.3 Power Stroke. You can't go wrong, pretty much bullet proof. It's hard to break stuff on a Super Duty.