1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

possibly buying a 96 f250 need advice!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Hoveys Lawn Car, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Hoveys Lawn Car

Hoveys Lawn Car Junior Member

I ran into a nice looking f250, I think it may be a sd but not sure. Has around 200,000 miles on it and was told some lifter tap. I can buy for 3000.00 or less so not too bad. I plan to put a boos 8.2 power v on it. I do have a 2000 dodge ram with a 7.5 snoway on it so I will have a back up truck and plow. I just want to take the load off my dodge a little and for that kind of money for another truck that looks real nice that may work just fine doesn't seem too bad. Also for only having 3000.00 in it, it wouldn't be real horrible to do a rebuild in the future especially if it's making the $! I think I will try to offer him 2500.00. Any suggestions?

2. Backlash63

Backlash63 Junior Member
    from ny

I suggest you drive it and check the font axle. We have a 96 and last winter we put a whole axle in it. its a good truck don't get me wrong, you just can't horse it and use it like a dozer. Also ours has been a plow truck for 6 years or more so it if its fine now i would just keep the axle in the back of your mind. you can always put a straight axle under and make it a 250 hd. Our truck has a 460/7.5 in it with an easy dump/bradford vbox and fisher 8' mm1. if its an Auto i would add a shift kit and a temp gauge and a big electric fan to help cool the rad. I think thats all. hope that helps

3. b2driver

b2driver Member
    from MD

If he's telling you it has lifter tap, what else is he hiding? I'd find something better. Why buy something you know will need rebuilt eventually? What if it needs rebuilt during the winter? You can't make any cash then.

Keep shopping.

4. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

since you say lifter tap i am more assuming it is a 351 or 302....a rebuilt short block is going to run 1500 bucks if the motor has issues. If it just needs lifters, that can be done in a weekend. I spent 40 bucks for std lifters +gaskets.

Diesel block is alot higher priced for a rebuild, but parts cost is just about the same.

On the super duty is it older than 98, it is a one ton with the dana 50 ttb. if it is an auto i would add the price of a rebuild tranny because the ford EAOD isn't very reliable workhorse.

The front axle would be easy to do anywork on it. In a day you could do all the axle u-joints, spindle bearings, wheel bearings and ball joints if needed.

if it is older than a 94 i would offer him less (around here a good f250 with gas motor is about 4k for 95 or so and older, diesel brings same price as one tone and it jumps to 7k ....but this is around me locally.)

5. Plowlikehell

Plowlikehell Member

The one thing everyone has missed to tell you. Check the oil pan for rust! The pans are known for rotting out, and can be a PIA to replace. Besides that, they are a pretty good truck!

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I hope you can do your own wrenching on the truck. With 200,000 on it the truck may need lot of new parts. Mine got the name "The Big Red Drain" within a month of purchase. Roll around under with a creeper and look at everything,exhaust,lines,tranny,frame.

7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Chris, be prepared to do some work to the front end, as well as beefing up the front springs. The Dana 50 TTB is not the greatest. If you end up having to do a ton of work to the front end, just put in a Dana 60 solid. Much better axle. It is real spendy though.