1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

possibly building a 99 explorer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 30below, Jan 14, 2009.

1. 30below

30below Junior Member
    from Alaska

Hi there! I've been lurking for a while now and I like the atmosphere of this forum. Lots of knowledge.I like to plow and I want to make a better plow truck then what I have available to me right now. Current rig is a 1983 f150 with a costco winch operated plow. It does the job suprisingly well. I can stand it, but I don't like it you know what I mean. I'm stacking snow with it just like I always remember watching my dad do when I was younger, Higher than the truck itself, but I know it wont handle this abuse for long and it needs work right now as you might expect. I can't really drive it back and forth between my area and my parents house. So it stays there now.

So I have a need for a new rig that can fit into tight spots. I know ford rbv's, and own a 96 ranger thats done me well over the years. I've been watching craigslist for a project and this 99 explorer came up. It has damage and some miles but I'm not too worried about it. What I'm worried about is how to get a plow on it cheap. I plan to modify it to suit whatever my needs are and not keep it streetable. Basically over the years I will just modify and repair with modifications to make it one badass plow truck as cheap as possible.

Anyone interested in giving me your ideas or experiences? At first I have to keep it cheap and maybe even sell stuff off of it to fund it. I want to start by swapping axles with my ranger, to put the disc brakes on my daily driver.

Some quick foggy thoughts before bed,,, I've seen a 70's dodge engine driven unit complete for 300 bucks, any chance on rigging that up? Maybe to start, modify the costco plow to mount on both rigs? My folks own the f150 and I have to keep them cleared out too. They are actually the priority. I can handle most snows with my trucks and dont usually NEED a plow untill the lazy ass plow guy spills the street into my drive. I want to plow the street too so he can just keep his ass out of here.

Anyway, serious rambling going on here, NIGHT! ussmileyflag

2. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

3. 30below

30below Junior Member
    from Alaska

Ahh, putting this here was a complete accident. Thats what I get for trying to post while so tired.

I actually meant to put it in the newb area, but the ford trucks area might work. Only thing is I'm not here for help buiding the truck, as much as getting help with the plow portion of the build.

So mods, if you wouldn't mind moving this thread for me, I'd appreciate not looking like an idiot with this thread here. :cool:

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I plowed for a long time with a Bronco II with a 6 foot standard Meyer blade. It did the job but parts were broken along the way. I enjoyed having a smaller truck but, there are draw backs. Don't take this as a cut on you or what you want to do. I also talked to other small plow truck owners.
    Being in Alaska I can see a few problems with what you want to do.
    Finding parts for both the truck and the plow could be a problem.
    You have winter longer then we do, so the vehicle may have been used in 4X4 for very long periods. I bet around my area there are SUV's that have not been driven in 4X4 for a grand total of 24hrs in an entire winter.
    A lot of plow manufactures make plows for Explorers. Finding used ones could be an issue in your state. The used vehicle no doubt may have a few issues with mechanical parts. If it has a bunch of miles on it a lot of maintenance may have never been done to it. The transfer case and front axle may have never had the fluids changed regularly. The front CV's could be toast and the front bearing's worn out. The shift on the fly motor assembly could be bad. Hubs might not engage any longer. These are all expensive parts to replace. Just think long and hard about the vehicle and look at it closely. Pretty soon a full size vehicle and plow may be a better idea.As far as plowing with a small light duty truck you need to plow with the storm. You can't wait for the 12 inches to stop falling. You need to plow when you can still move the amount that's down. They will not plow like the big dogs because you don't have the truck weight or the blade they do. You would need to upgrade the charging system to at least a 100 amp alternator and a big battery. With the extra weight of the plow it will chew thou brakes faster then normal.
    Use the search function on the gray line at the top. Search: "Plowing with a small truck' ECT. There should be posts on the subject.