1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Possibly a bad engine

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tsmith821, Sep 21, 2004.

1. tsmith821

tsmith821 Junior Member

I bought a 95 Chevy k1500 about 4 months ago. the odometer said 135,000 miles. I figured I could still get another 70,000 or more if kept up well. When I went to go get my oil changed, the tec said that it looked like this was not the original engine because the oil filter that was supposed to be on there was not.? So this got me wondering a bit and I went down to the local Chevy dealer to have him look up my vin. He didn't really come up with much so I'm kinda at a loss. Is there anyway to tell if this is the original engine, and if it isn't, is there anyway to tell where this engine cam from and how many miles it's got on it?
  2. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I think the 'tech' is on crack. The oil filter position and type never changed..... there are different filters that will fit for different applications, but the important thing is the diameter of the oil filter seal and the screw threads. Heavy trucks, for example, have a longer version of the same oil filter and holds an extra litre or so. Low slung cars like a Corvette use a shorter version of the filter for more ground clearance. 4.3's in minivans use a smaller outside diameter for clearance to the frames. Etc. Etc. Etc. yet they all will fit if there is enough room.

There is a pad with numbers behind the alternator... you'll need to scrape and wirebrush it clean to read it. There will be an application code and part of the VIN number.

Does it run well? Is the oil free of metallic grit? If its in good shape, even if its been changed, who cares what it is out of? Don't let it worry you.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  3. tsmith821

tsmith821 Junior Member

hey thanks for the post. Maybe I'll try looking for the num behind the alternator and see what I can find. I think you might be right though. If it's running good dont worry.
  4. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Do you have a remote setup for the filter on this one?
    Or maybe some kind of add on oil cooler that requires you to have a shorter filter installed?
    Just a couple of reasons that I can think of for a non stock filter to be installed.
    Did the stock filter fit on this truck?
  5. tsmith821

tsmith821 Junior Member

I don't know to much about cars or trucks so bear with me.. Remote setup, I really dont think so. The oil filter just screws into the bottom of the engine, seems normal. As far as having a shorter oil filter, it's actually a longer and fatter oil filter. The tec said that the big one was not the normal one for that truck. The thing with the large oil filter is that it just barley fits, some times the trans-axle(???) will even rub up against the oil filter and take a small chip out. Which seems strange because the trucks got a 3" lift on it where you would think it would have more clearance.? As far as the stock filter that the tec said went on there, it did not fit. The hole were it screws in on the oil filter was a hair to small and would not fit.
  6. derekbroerse

The hole of the filter was too small? Not likely. Even aftermarket filter relocation kits tend to use a small-block chevy oil filter because it is common and easy to get.

Sounds more like a lube 'tech' from one of these shops (someone just like him) maybe forced a wrong filter on and possibly damaged the threads, hence the stock filter not fitting. Or he grabbed the wrong 'stock' filter... or... or... or... ?

Odd that he would suggest that the engine was changed because of it....

My advice: Try a different lube shop next time and see what they say about it.... ;)

As long as it seals and isn't losing oil, I wouldn't worry too much. But the axle hitting it could cause disaster while driving....

Do you have a digital camera? Can you show us a picture of the filter setup?
  7. derekbroerse

I have the answer! lol

Seems some of those trucks had an adapter bolted to the engine that turns the filter sideways (instead of the normal Chevy style vertical) for more clearance. The block is the same, regardless of its original application. ie: it is a bolt-on part.

What I am told is that they tend to leak, and gaskets are expensive/impossible to get, so people take them off and bolt on a regular Chevy filter adapter in its place.

I'm guessing the interference you are describing is the driveshaft hitting the filter under suspension travel? That being the case, try to get the shortest Chevy style filter that will fit. Stock motors don't care so much about oil capacity, race cars and heavy duty trucks use more capacity for high-volume pumps and to help keep temperatures down.