1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Possible Uni/Ultra MVP cutting edge solver?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by OneBadDodge06, Jan 1, 2013.

1. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I had a thought and I wanted to get some opinions of what the rest of the world thinks about my idea to do away with the stupid little brackets and wasted time with watching the rubber flap get ripped off season after season.

What if you completely leave off the stupid little brackets that hold the rubber flapper......drill two extra holes in the flapper and mount it onto the blade using the cutting edge bolts on either side of the wings?

In order to maintain even pressure on the rubber piece, get two pieces of flat stock steel, drill two holes on each side, and use them as washers.......be easier to keep everything tight and maintain bolt torque.

And voila.....no more having to buy cutting edges that don't need replaced, spending $$$$$ on the center wiper kit, and the headache of dealing with it.

What does everyone think??? Might seem like a little bit of a pain but I would imagine it would last as long as a cutting edge should since it would wear at the same rate. No more messing around with plow configurations, or issues in the middle of a storm.

Am I missing a vital flaw?

2. hamm8232

hamm8232 Junior Member

you missed the fact that the western mvp is cutting edge trip, bolting the rubber to it is a good idea if both edges will trip at the same time but if only one trips it will rip the rubber, if you used a heavy beltingu it might last if you had a little slack in it. You could try it if you have a mudflap laying around you wont be out anything.

3. NSDOT

NSDOT Senior Member

I'll report back, I'm in the process of trying this, I can't afford $400 a set edges. My local welding shop made a template of a new set I had. He's a very knowledgable man and he tested the factory blades for hardness and said it was a farce to call the material "hard". Said he'd get me material , far harder at about a quarter of the price. The trouble is as you guys pointed out, that centre joint. Gonna try a rubber/ belting solution.

4. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Can you use the newer formed edges? We are trying to come up w a better solution for my brothers MVP.

5. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

We made a set for my buddies MVP used my X-vee as a guide and bent them out of mild steel and they work great

6. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Yeah I tried it just for grins and it won't work. What I did though was drill another hole closer to the top of my rubber piece and slotted the hole on the bracket with a plasma so it slides up further. I was going to make a set of bent brackets that are like the new MVP but the cutting edges are too close together in scoop. But if you mod your existing stuff it should give you a little longer life. I also added a piece of steel as a washer to evenly distribute the pressure on the bolt.

7. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

I don't think the new style will work unless you drill another hole in the bottom of the plow...