1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Possible truck purchase/need input

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DodgeBlizzard, Mar 28, 2011.

1. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

It's only 2 wd . I've never plowed with a 2wd truck. Any input?
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I have never plowed with a 2 wheel drive only truck ,but in most of my open lots I never put it in 4 wheel drive so I would think if it is going to be in a open lot, with plenty of weight in the back and a good set of snow tires that it will work out well for you. It is nice to have the option for 4 wheel drive if you need it, but in most cases a weighted down truck, a good driver and keep up on the clearing of your lots you will have no problems. It all depends what you are going to use it for.
  3. Chris112lee

Chris112lee Member

In my experience a 2wd truck is not as efficient, since you cant accelerate as quickly, especially in reverse. Though having a sander in the back makes a huge difference.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

ive tried to plow in 2wd drive before and it never works out unless theres only a little bit of snow. i like having the option of 4x4 if i get stuck as well. my truck doesnt have nearly as much weight in the bed as that sander would weigh full of sand though so i bet that makes a huge difference
  5. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

looks like a dually too? Lots of weight needed!
  6. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

.my input is...why is this in the commercial snow removal thread?
  7. DodgeBlizzard

So you have no clue then?
  8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Wide open small snow amounts and flat is what is needed for that truck to be efficient. The weight will help alot, but is not a complete problem solver Being in Pennsylvania, I am not sure the flat part works for you.
  9. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

I regularly plow in a F350 2wd dually with a 9' plow, plus wings (11' total) in each and every storm. Yes, I have a salter in the back, but have plowed 6" of snow without salt/weight other than the salter. The last storm we had was 8-10 inches of HEAVY wet slushy crap, and it plowed fine, with weight.

Now, saying that, it is not the only truck and thier are certain places that it does not go. It sticks to the big open area's because it is cumbersome, harder to see around and cannot go every place a 4x4 plow truck can.

Would I do hilly residentials with it, nope. Can it plow snow so that it is piled up as high as the hood while you are plowing, yes. Can any of my 5 drivers climb in it and be efficient, no.
  10. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

For the right price it will do fine, just look at the size of that spreader, that thing will hold alot of weight
  11. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

2 yard salt dogg
  12. DodgeBlizzard

Goel.......Thanks for your reply as that is the same exact thoughts I'm having with the truck. Now the kicker.........The guy originally told me it just had just over 100,000 miles but wasn't exactly sure. But after emailing him for more info, he told me the diesel has 160,000 miles. Suddenly it's not looking as good of a deal. I'm still considering the truck, as it would be pretty much a dedicated salt truck and probably only plow at the beginning of the storms until we get ahead of the game and the lots are ready for salt. The high miles scare me, but it is a diesel and the truck looks to be in great shape. This truck would solve a lot of my problems as this year our dump now needs motor work and the salter needs replaced. This possible setup is a new salter and the plow is 5 years old. What would be a ''good deal'' price? He's asking $8500. I asked if he would go any lower and he said make an offer, so it sounds like he's open for offers. The wifey has Thursday off and we may take a drive and look at it.
  13. MatthewG

Offer $6500 with plow and spreader
  14. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

$ 8500 is steep for that rig, at least in my mind. Especially this time of the year. Personally I would wait for a better deal, or see if he still has it in July (I bet he will).
    You would be fine plowing with it, the truck I drive primarily is a 3500 duelly ext cab with a 9 ft flatbed, 81/2 Fisher V on front, Smith 1 3/4 yd salter on the back with extensions. It is 4wd, but I VERY rarely use it. Even with an empty V box it is generally fine. You can check out pics of my truck @ RLM Snow Services on facebook.
  15. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

A lot on municipalities use 5 yarders( single axle dump trucks) to clear road ways,etc and these are 2wd's. The real issue is weight. Just be careful not to drop over the edge of the parking lots ,etc,but again with the right amount of weight this can be overcome.
  16. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Agreed- the issues is weight and tire selection- you will want traction tires on the rear, not all seasons.
    I used to plow my dump in 2wd 90% of the time with a 3 yrd steel spreader in the back loaded- my issue with traction was that I was running too tight to the wallet to afford good traction tires for the rear after putting 6 new all seasons on it and replacing the front springs.
    As long as I had a loaded spreader I had little trouble- only needed 4wd when it got heavy and I had windrows.
    That looks like a really long wheelbase which would limit it very much to large open areas. Keep a good tow chain with you and get some tire chains just in case.
    The fact that most municipalities use 2wd trucks is really neither here nor there- very few 5 yarders or larger can be had in 4wd and those that are are often cost prohibitive, plus most municipalities are plowing with the storm, not waiting for 4, 5, 6 inches to fall before heading out. Alot of them run chains as soon as the roads become white around here.
  17. MatthewG

I guess the question is, what happens when the spreader is empty and your running around with no weight other than the 800lb Vbox?
  18. windrowsnow

windrowsnow Senior Member
    from nw ohio

my f350 only goes in 4 wheel if i get stuck or its a heavy wet snow, i have two ton of salt in the bed and she plows with a nine foot straight blade with no problem. small lots all the way up to five acre lots. i have an f250 where the transfer case wont shift and we put an old ag tire in the bed for weight and she pushes light snow no issues!
  19. alpine779

alpine779 Member

I started off with a 94 F-450 7.3 5spd 2wd and never had an issue with it. It had a 8.2 boss v on the front and a 'good' yard of sand in the back dump. The only issue was when somebody inexperienced would walk it up a pile and drop the front-end off and get stuck while stacking. That truck imo would do just fine plowin or sanding. Still wish we had that truck.
  20. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Well, you'll have less weight in the back that's all. Spreader is 800lbs- that's about what I run in the back for ballast. Just make sure you have good tires.