1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Possible to change moldboards?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by importkiller, Jul 17, 2012.

1. importkiller

importkiller Junior Member
    from NJ

Two years ago I bought a brand new western mid weight setup for my dodge ram quad cab 1500, great setup but I got tired of getting 8mpg as a daily driver so I traded the truck in last week on a ford f350 power stroke dually. Now my plow is of course too small. Can I just sell the moldboard and put on a 9' one? It looks like the frame and hydraulics are the same on the mid weight and the pro models. Any ideas?

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

no, the a-frame and quadrant would be different. when they redesigned the pro (Pro series 2), the quadrant and a-frame became more similar to the ones on the mid-weight, but they are still different. Basically because the pro blades themselves didn't change.
    The midweight blade fastens to the quadrant at two points, the pro 2 at three points. I suppose you could put two side by side and figure out if you want to try to modify the quadrant.

3. importkiller

from NJ

I was afraid of that, thanks for the help....guess I'll put the midweight on craigslist

4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

sure thing! and, even if it would have worked, just buying 9' pro blade only new would have been $1200 or so anyway. then you'd be stuck with the midweight blade only, and you'll have a hard time finding anybody that needs just that. So, yea, it's usually better to keep complete plows together. good luck!

5. importkiller

from NJ

True but I'd rather be out another 1200 than another 5000. Hopefully I can sell it complete for 2500 or so, I took everything out of the truck so it's a compete setup....the wife would kill me if I have two plows in the driveway..lol

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

lol .. yep that is also a good point.

7. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Also they only make the 9' in proplus now

8. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

but they still sell it as a service part.

9. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Yea, the mold board can be ordered as a service part. Problem is I doubt many if any dealers have it sitting around so you would most likely have to pay shipping from western as well to get it

10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

ok, sorry, I thought you were saying that it's not available. I just wanted to clarify.