1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Possible purchase: 04 Dmax K2500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by scott nadeau, Jul 25, 2008.

1. scott nadeau

scott nadeau Junior Member

Hi all,
    I have found what I consider to be a good deal, and I'm thinking about buying it tomorrow. It's an 04 Duramax K2500 with 22K miles. Extended cab with just the basics - it was a work truck. The price is 18,500. It has a small dent behind the rear wheel - no other damage.

This price seems really good to me - do you agree?

What do I need to look for as far as defects go with this model/year?

It has 3.73 gears - I am telling the wife I can get 21mpg on the highway if I keep it at 65 - is that pretty much true?

2. Plowin in VT

Plowin in VT Senior Member

Don't count on the 21mpg.... that seems to be more of an urban ledgend than actual fact. I had an '05 3500 Dmax extended cab that got an indicated 18mpg highway on the trip computer, but when I calculated it myself, it was only 16. I did not drive it hard, slow starts, and never over 72mph.

If you had asked me 6 months ago if that was a good price, I would have told you to jump all over it, but now, w/the price of diesel at $5 and climbing, and the price of truck dropping, you could probably get them to drop it some more.

Good luck,

3. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I have an 04 Dmax. Most Ive ever seen on the highway was 20mpg. I average 16mpg on a tank of diesel but thats alot of city driving a little bit of highway and towing my landscape trailer around, which aint bad a gas truck would get half of that. Whats the 8th didgit in the vin number? is it a 1 or 2? If its a 1 then its a LB7 motor, thats what I have. some LB7s have injector problems which cost about $3-5k for the dealer to fix. But all LB7s have a 7yr/200k mile warranty, so you would be covered for a few more years. Now if its a 2 in the vin number it is an LLY motor. Its a good motor, they dont really have injetor problems and they have a little bit more power. They also have high idle which is nice. The negatives about the LLY are that they have a catalytic converter and a EGR valve. They are both good motors and I wouldnt be scared to own either.
  4. tha_lildude

tha_lildude Member

B&B where are you mr chevy genius.
  5. scott nadeau

My wife ended up wanting the 05 crew cab GMC SLE, so we ended up with that. The information display on the dash told me I was getting 21mpg with a very light right foot.

I'm happy with the power. I'll probably add a PPE from all I have read about them. The truck is nice and quiet on the inside. I've never had a diesel so I didn't know what to expect. It's no louder than my 95 K2500 5.7 with dual exhaust.

Is there anything special I should look for on this particular model? Will a Cat-delete help the mpg at all?
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

With the truck market the way it is now I'd say is a decent buy, but not an outstanding buy for an '04 stripped down E-cab. Mileage isn't as important as model year as far as value is concerned these days but at 22K she isn't even broken in so thats a plus.

As Ohio Plower said...in '04 it could be an LB7 or LLY.. and either is fine. Some like the LB7's over the LLY's due to the lack of emissions components, but the LLY's do have a little more power. Of course more power is easily obtainable with either engine with some upgrades. LB7's were known for having more injector troubles than the LLY's but that wouldn't stop me from purchasing one, especially in your case as the injectors would still be under warranty.

Common issues on the '03-'04 trucks as a whole as I've said in previous threads, Gage cluster failures, rear brake corrosion (easily preventable if your aware of it ahead of time) and blower motor modules.

21 MPG (hand calculated) as an average is a little far fetched... but the LB7's will get 19 of you drive them right.

Is this truck equipped with plow prep? Are you purchasing from a dealer? Any kind of warranty?
  7. scott nadeau

Thanks all. B&B, I ended up with an 05 Crew Cab 2500 with 24k miles. Will a cat delete help mpg, or is a full exhaust the only way to go?

And I'm assuming a PPE will add some mpg since that seems to be what people are saying (of course you need to have a light right foot). Correct?

My miles are 95% highway - 50 miles each way to work.

No plow at this time for this truck. I have a 95 K2500 for plowing - when it dies I'll put a plow on the GMC. The GMC is basically a daily driver during the week and a race hauler on the weekend.
  8. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Check out dieselplace.com for some good info on the diesels. PPE or better yet EFI Live can help your mileage BUT you have to be careful with either because if you start adding to much power you'll put the tranny into limp mode and then you'll end up having to upgrade the tranny. My guess is though one you do some more reading and get to playing with either the PPE or EFI Live or any other programmer you'll be wanting to do that anyways. :D
  9. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

I read in Diesel Power about the allison, in where they did an upgrade to a gmc dualie, and if i recall, they said that the stock tranny could handle around 100-150 ft.lbs more than stock torque.
  10. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

If your VERY careful it might handle that much for a little bit but I highly doubt it would last long running that much power on a stock trans. I've heard of guys that will limp the trans on the 65 hp tune and others have no problem running on a higher tune. I've never limped mine on the 65 hp tune. The 6sp are built a little stronger then the 5 speeds to.
  11. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

That is a good price i paid more then that for mine. As for the mileage. I really don't calculate the mileage often. I got about 18 mph, on a trip that was about 200 miles with my new tires i was happy with that. Half of the trip was hilly mountain roads. I am more then sure i will get alot better mileage on a more flat road.