1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Possible newer Gehl for me? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by hickslawns, Sep 23, 2008.

1. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Going to look at a Gehl 6640 tomorrow. Taking trailer and cash and S&W. 2005 Gehl 6640 turbo. Deutz 82HP, 2 speed, enclosed cab w/heat and AC. Hi-flow/low-flow hydraulics. 841 hrs. Rough appearance. Lots of scratches, bald tires. 13+mph in 2 speed. 2600lb lift, 2900 w/ weight kit. Any drawbacks? Opinions? I talked to the local Gehl dealer and he said that it was around what they would offer for trade in.

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

there are alot of gehls around here very good machine for the money

only problem for plowing that i have heard is that thay use the oil for the heater and they dont maintain heat at all if idled

3. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Good info to know. However, if I am plowing with it, I am going to be working it. Not much worry about idling. Might be a concern just for loading, but short time in machine for this. We can still use our Bobcat 773 to load if the Gehl is out working.

4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

You won't have trouble keeping the engine/cab warm. I had a 4635 which was a great a litle machine.

Plus it is a much bigger and faster machine then the 773. It will out load and push the bobcat.

5. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

good deal Phil, you need some pics of it, and how much was they askin?

6. cretebaby

does the 4635 have a duetz

7. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Planned on picking up tonight for asking price of $12500. Got a snag. Found out there is still a UCC lien filed against it. Sale now in limbo. New territory for me. Anyone have suggestions? Glad I had not yet taken delivery and made payment, but I am still not ruling it out. I just need to find out how to go about getting the lien removed. The current own is actually more in need of this than I am. Suggestions?

8. salopez

salopez Senior Member

call the lien holder and offer to buy it. thats the only way i know of...just hope is 12.5 or less!

9. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Only problem with that is it is at a pawn dealer. He already bought it. I was trying to buy it off him. Questioned about it being free from liens and he was not aware you could put a lien on something without a title. He dug a bit deeper to find there is still money owed on it. Possible it was paid off and lien isn't clear yet, but not probable. I will let him fight the legal battle, get it cleared up, and then pursue it. Picked up an S-220 2speed to demo tonight. I like the visibility of the Gehl better though.

10. cretebaby

I am not an expert but

you can't put a lein on something like this it would be unsecured credit if they borrowed to buy it

11. salopez

salopez Senior Member

if they financed it through gehl to begin with wouldnt gehl hold a lien on it?

12. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

UCC lien. Check it out if you ever borrow money for non-titled vehicles. UCC-Uniform Commercial Code.

13. salopez

salopez Senior Member

cretebaby
    sorry I missed your post. yes it had a duetz engine. loved it too!