1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Possible new truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lazer Man, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

Folks we are looking into picking up a '82 GMC 7000 with a 8.2 diesel engine 5spd tranny with a 2spd de-clutcher?? rear axle. This truck has only 8,000 miles as this was fire truck chassis it is also a 4X4 it seems to be very clean just looking for some info about this engine and anyother info on this type truck.

Bob :D :D :D
  2. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

I don't think I've ever heard that before.? Maybe its a PA thing?

1st thing to consider is it is a diesel, but an old tech diesel? Maybe a little more tempermental, etc.

2nd thing is it is a fire truck, and usage would be minimal and would have been taken excellent care of. Gov't owned

3rd is that if you do not know problems associated with bigger trucks, than I would find someone you trust to help. If you do not know anyone, then take it to a mechanic (truck mechanic).

Big equipment makes big money, but takes big money to make it run.

3. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

That doesnt sound bad , it will probably push great. If you need a dump body for it I have a 1985 gmc 6000 with a dump body on it for sale , its gas but the body it good ( a good friend died and I am selling hid business equipment)
  4. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

The 8.2 is not one of the greatest diesels in the world (not the worst either). Have it checked out by a good diesel mechanic if possible.

Also check the engine hours if it has a meter. Quite often fire trucks will have low chassis miles but a lot of hours pumping. I am assuming this was a brush truck or similar and probably has had little use either pumping or driving. We have a pickup that has spent much of its life idling at fire scenes and show like 60,000 on the odometer but calculate out the hours and it comes out to like 260,000 engine miles.

Please explain de-clutcher rear end further - never heard of it.

Being a 4x4 it definitely should NOT have a 2-speed rear axle. That would reak all kind of havoc on the driveline if someone inadvertently shifted the rear axle while in 4wd. More than likely a 2-speed transfer and/or 2-spd auxilary trans.

Is this currently owned by the municipality and up for bid? If so they usually go reasonably. If everything checks out it should make a great plow truck.