1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Possible new shop! woohoo!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BushHogBoy, Jan 28, 2005.

1. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I have run into a possible (very likely) situation here... I know this single lady who lives on 3-4 acres in a nice neighborhood. She's divorced, her son is at college and she has back trouble and has a hard time keeping up the property. She also happens to not use this barn So we are hoping to work out a deal where I get full use of the barn in exchange for mowing and snow removal (and leaves but that will mainly be what blows in from the neighbors, and theres a fence so not a ton). Its a flat property, plenty of room. Also she probably will be moving within a couple years or so, so I have the possibility of purchasing the whole place house, barn and yard if she does. The good thing is, its only a minute away from my house, nice neighborhood where I'd want to live, very close to town (3 minutes away, can get to north or south side of town just as easy as the other), and I have two accounts across the street from each other that are one block away from this place. The driveway is a huge horseshoe shape with a drive going to the barn so its shaped like " h " so I can pull in the one entrance and around the horseshoe, then be lined up to back straight into the barn at night it would have plenty of room for equipment, storing more stuff, and workshop area I can't wait, i'm just psyched! I've been stressing over this issue for some time then yesterday the idea just popped into my head in a sudden flash of brilliance! I am positive she'll go for it too!!! So I'm hoping to get moved in before the season starts! This would be the best possible arrangement ever really!
    Its got two doors, taller and wider than your standard garage door so no problems gettin the rig in and out. Its somewhere around 25 or 30' wide and 40-50' long I am estimating i haven't measured it yet.
    Wish me luck!!!! :waving: :cool:
    Eric :nod:
    ps- I live at home with my parents now, so this will save me money this season not having to purchase or rent a place then all those associated expenses of living there :) Will be a great place to operate my lawn care business out of don't you think?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I would jump on it :bluebounc get it now before the kids find out what she is doing, they(her kids) might have plans for it already, when she moves or pass on.
    It is not a luxury to have a shop to work on your equipment is an necessity..
    looks good & good luck getting it!!
  3. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

Beats the hell outta my first house. Looks real nice and I agree a shop is not a luxury by any means in this business. Having your shop right behind your home, now thats a luxury :bluebounc

I rent heated warehouse space for my summer business and that is also my winter plow shop. Unfortunately it's 9 miles from my house. If I only could have a place right behind my own house, that would be so convenient. Ahhh, to hop into a warm truck at 2am and go. Oh well, maybe in the future :rolleyes:
  4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Man you had better move on this, if she goes for it do it now.

Good Luck Mike
  5. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

looks excellent eric-so will you still live at home for now. when will she know if the deal is a go by?

lets seem some more pics.
  6. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

You have to admire the dreams of our youth these days....someday, they too will figure out........

Not everything in life is FREE..... :eek:

I wish my oldest son had 1/2 of your eagerness Eric.

Good Luck
  7. gpin

gpin Senior Member

It is a great set up for running your business. Is it zoned commercial? If not the neighbors might be able to raise a stink. It looks rural, so hopefully that will not be an issue.

Be careful on the the trade rent for services scenario. I would agree on a $ rent and based on the grass cutting, lawn fertilization and snow removal. You know what your costs are going to be, net of very wet season. Although you cannot predict snow fall, if you were renting a commercial property, it is typically a triple net lease and you would have to handle your own snow removal anyway. Be very careful that there is little left to interpretation on the trade for services deal as wars have been started over misunderstandings.

Good luck and it looks like 2005 is starting out well for you.
  8. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

cant wait , i have stuff i want to put in there
  9. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

I would jump on that in a second.... That is one hell of a nice garage to store equipment. Lucky SOB.:salute: Hope you get the shop and when you do take some more pics :nod:
  10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

How old is this lady? She may not have horses but is looking for a stud service anyways.
  11. Turfman76

Turfman76 Junior Member

Looks like a great place, is the property zoned for commercial use? Best to check just in case you are in and out alot and neighbors complain...hope all goes well and good luck
  12. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

OK guys I got it!!! Wooohoo!!! anyway lol. Actually I only get half of it, its 30x40, so i get 15x40. Still enough room for me anyway. I get to put the 12' trailer out back behind the barn, and can park a truck outside in front, or the big trailer can be outfront too if i want. One of the neighbors runs a small business out of his home as well and just built onto his garage for more room for his stuff. The people on the other side are not very close to this place. So I don't think anyone will have a problem with it. Also lawn is only 2 3/4 acre not 3-4 like I thought.
    This lady is in her 50's and i'm 17, so Reaper, don't even go there LOL.
  13. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Hey man, only gets better with age. hahahaha

never say never.
  14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Shhhhhhhh did I here Mrs. Robinson calling????
    Brush hog!! ho!! brush hog!!!! where are you!!!!! :D
  15. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

U guys R sick.... she is a nice lady but it ain't like that dudes :nono:

Here are a couple better pics of it. I get the half on the right side (opposite the little window and side door).

16. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

Other side.......

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

congrats on the new shop!!! it looks great i bet it's allot better than working on your trucks and equipment outside :nod:
    hey!! i was just kidding around with the Mrs. Robinson stuff.
    wait hold on there it is again can you here it??
    there it is again... bush hog hoooo where is my bush hog boy
  18. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Having a garage is great. Heated garage is a luxury. Last year I built a nice 25' x 40' with 10' walls and storage up top. Heated and insulated as well. Is nothing better and almost find myself looking for things to do as it is so nice.

I wasn't kidding.

Simon Garfunkel

And here's to you, Mrs. Robinson
    Jesus loves you more than you will know (Wo, wo, wo)
    God bless you please, Mrs. Robinson
    Heaven holds a place for those who pray
    (Hey, hey, hey...hey, hey, hey)

We'd like to know a little bit about you for our files
    We'd like to help you learn to help yourself
    Look around you, all you see are sympathetic eyes
    Stroll around the grounds until you feel at home

And here's to you, Mrs. Robinson

Hide it in a hiding place where no one ever goes
    Put it in your pantry with your cupcakes
    It's a little secret, just the Robinsons' affair
    Most of all, you've got to hide it from the kids

Coo, coo, ca-choo, Mrs Robinson

Sitting on a sofa on a Sunday afternoon
    Going to the candidates debate
    Laugh about it, shout about it
    When you've got to choose
    Ev'ry way you look at it, you lose

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio
    A nation turns its lonely eyes to you (Woo, woo, woo)
    What's that you say, Mrs. Robinson
    Joltin' Joe has left and gone away
  19. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Man thats a nice shop I drive 53 miles one way to my friends shop to do work on my stuff but it's huge 200X80 with a 30' peek. I bring a lot of big equipment in there to work on.

My dream is to own a property where I can put up a 40X40 with 14' doors behind the house. That way I can do most work in there and the bigger jobs I can do at my friends place.

I think it is great that you are thinking about buying a house at your age. Man I was to busy screwing off and chasing skirts to think about stuff like that. Good luck and congratulations on getting the shop.

On a side note don't rule out older women. She could teach you a thing or two that would make you look like a frickin super hero with the younger ladies.
  20. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

Nice Shop....Looks almost Like Mine...