1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Possible Late Season Storm?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Young Pup, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

2. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

Imagine if it was 10 degrees cooler or a few weeks ago. This rain storm would have been an absolute nasty blizzard for lots of plowers out there and a hell of a money maker.
    But thats April for ya! :drinkup:
  3. Young Pup

That is exactly what they said earlier on the news about this storm.
  4. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Late winter storm

A Cleveland TV station for-casted 6 inches of snow. While most others are for-casting a lot less. Akron is for-casting around an inch. With the ground so warm and temps in the low 30s I think we will just get a tease. I would love to end the yr with a 6 inch accumulation of snow. What a way to end the season!

5. scagster

scagster Member
    from n.ohio

we put our plows away last weekend, started clean ups monday,i really dont want to plow at this point , but i guess money is money
  6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

We're supposed to get a piece of it too, a few inches. I'll believe it when I see it. More like an April Fools Joke..... :rolleyes:

I only have about 300lbs of salt too... enough for sidewalks but not much else...
  7. derekbroerse

OK guys, enough's enough.....April Fools was yesterday.... Guys? Guys??

This started less than an hour ago. Taken from the front window of the house. Note the size of the flakes.... :eek: This was done deliberately by Mother Nature to thumb her nose at anyone who put their plows away.... ;)

Snow April 2 2005.jpg
  8. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

WOW! Haven't seen anything like that here since the end of Jan.

9. Young Pup

Melting on contact here. Very little in the grass. And to think I might be cutting grass next week :waving:
  10. scagster

scagster Member
    from n.ohio

2-3 inches of wet heavy slush, prob.3-4 inches fell but alot melted on contact.never the less had to dig out one of the salt spreaders and send a guy out. this after doing clean ups,lawn apps. and bed weed controls this past week, oh well, money is money
  11. derekbroerse

Personally, I could have done without it...

Had to run out right away and buy salt... bought the bags for convenience, but couldn't get the 88 pounders they only had the 44 pounders... so more $$$ gone...

People spun out all over, cops and ambulances everywhere, none of the roads were cleared at all at that point, even the major highways... until about an hour and a half after I posted the picture.

People at the commercial lots did their best impressions of "Lemmings" again.... you know, just walking across behind the moving truck... driving on all sides of it... insisting on using the same entrace/exit that I am working on.... drive right into the salt-spray and give me a dirty look.... The usual.. You know.

Truck wouldn't start at first either. It was that same damn electric fuel pump wire that I replaced a section of earlier in the season! That does it, I'm replacing the whole wire when I get a chance! The plastic sheathing is all cracked now and when I strip it back its all greeeeeeeeeeeen.... Another 3/4 hr wasted...

Also nailed a rather large pothole too (full of water, never saw it), flexed the truck just enough to pop the one 'problem' joint in the exhaust apart (it was made with not enough overlap on the slip joint)....

Ahhh well, prayin' for rain tonight instead of snow :p
  12. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 Senior Member

their saying a little snow here, but probably just a dusting. Mostly rain.
    Its raining like a b*tch right now, everythings a giant mud mess
  13. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

Thats why ya simply have to wait until you know for a fact there wont be any more snow.
    Wouldnt it be easier to just leave the plow equipment on and take it off when you know for sure the snow season is over, rather than taking everything off too soon just to have to put it all back on??
    And yes, money is money. But at least even if it does snow, it wont stay too long on the ground so you can still get back to your landscaping ASAP.
  14. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

An absolute picture of beauty Derek.
    I tell you what, that scene of snow covered everything and snow falling NEVER gets old for me, no matter what time of year it is. :)
    Btw, do you live across from a field/farm,etc.?? Looks desolate!
    Just wondering.
  15. scagster

scagster Member
    from n.ohio

yeah ct plow we jumped the gun, but its been quite a few years since we had apush in april, but it did snow 4 inches on april 7th 1990. i remember that because it was my wedding day. should of went plowing instead of to the church,,,,,just kidding, i think i hear my wife coming,gotta go
  16. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Theres an 1" or so on the ground here... I was in Ohio Expo. Center in the morning, they got hit kinda hard. Mansfield was white out when we cam though. Plows are on and ready to roll.. We were doing clean ups ths week too.
  17. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Yes CT i keep one truck ready till i know its over and i can get others ready in 20 min's and i still got about 6 tons of bagged chemicals in the last bins i leave on some sites all year. But i have cleaned and pressure washed all the trucks and even waxed them for the first time this year.I can remember a few April storms and my contracts are till 4-15 so if they get caught with your plow down shame on them. I think the other guys that had there spreaders and plows ready did the right thing iam not knocking starting the spring work early but you still got to be ready for anything in this line of work and during this time of year you never know whats going to happen. YP & Clapper can you send some down here would love to get out of the house LMAO.... :cry: :cry: :cry:
  18. derekbroerse

Yeah, it is something, isn't it?

We live on a 6.25 acre 'hobby farm' (hay). On our side of the road, one border along our property is a 20 acre forest/20 acre grain field, the other side is a 6.25 acre apple farm. Next door to him is a small sectioned off property, followed by 10 acres of Christmas trees! On the end of the block is a large horse farm. (We have quite a variety on this street, huh?)

Across the street is a 130 acre vineyard. (it is for sale, only 1.3 millon last I heard)

As you can see we live out in the sticks! lol Good for peace and quiet though, and you can pretty well do what you want. There is a town five minutes away in either direction, so its not too isolated... but we are technically Niagara on the Lake (the old Tourist Trap town... :rolleyes: ) which is all being bought up by yuppies and foreigners and turning all the farmland (Ontario's famous Peach Land and grapes...) into subdivisions by the dozens. There is some new legislation to keep that at bay, but in the meantime they have approved a half dozen new ones just before the law passed! St. Davids will be yuppie-town!

I guess this is happening everywhere, but it is particularly sad when it is your own home town... (ESPECIALLY the peach lands, it is the only place in the world with soil of this type...:()
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  19. 69oiler

69oiler Junior Member

we got a foot of heavy wet snow. my plow truck died (seems like bad wires/cap/rotor) so i'm moving it with an 8N tractor. fun.

what a mess over a foot on the ground here in n.e. ohio, all wet slush nasty pushing snow!!!