1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Possible hydraulic issue

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by sdadean, Feb 17, 2013.

1. sdadean

sdadean Junior Member

2007 Chev 2500 HD LT Duramax Boss 7' 6" Steel Super Duty Straight Blade. I have just started plowing commercially and may or may not have any issue with my plow. My piles of snow have been getting quite large so I have been hitting them pretty hard to push the snow back or higher. The piles have also become very hard. If I hit the pile with the blade angled or just with one side of the blade it will turn when it should remain in that position.

Is this normal? Is there some type of relief valve when extreme pressure is put upon the rams or cyls? Seems if I am pushing a normal amount of snow I have no issues. Just at ramming speed. No leaks, seals all good. Could a valve or some seal be leaking internally?

2. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

Not a boss guy, but it sounds normal. The relief vales are doing there job preventing you from staving things up when you ram the piles.
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Yep, there's a relief valve to allow that to happen.

You'll be grateful it's there when you end up hitting a manhole cover or curb at some point.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

first,,,,no fair you have that big of piles and we dont!!!!!!!
    as what was said,,your plow is supposta to do that to protect itself. now hitting the piles that hard later on in the season is not a good idea. they get rock hard, and thats when you break stuff. so take it a little easy and maybe get a machine out there and move the piles for you
  5. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Agreed. Plows are not bulldozers or front end loaders. Plows are built for one thing: to plow fresh snow. Not frozen piles...or anything else for that matter.