1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Possible 100+ Resi. in the palm of my hand !

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Bolt-1, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

I will elaborate on this after the hunny do list is done today...

2. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

It started about 11 yrs ago. Through Craigslist. A local "Company"(Landscape Construction) himself and a relative was looking for some help with their plowing routes. I've been in Commercial construction for many years. Made contact, had a little talk, agreed on the terms and a relationship was formed. We have become good Friends over the years. Over the years we have helped each other out many times (pro bono) Now my friend has grown his business exponentially as time has gone by. And I'm very proud of him! To the point he is considering giving up his Resi. accounts. All 112 of them. He is considering giving them to me. We have talked briefly about this and have set up a meeting to discuss this in length. I on the other hand currently have a full time job. Which I do very well and am paid as such. I have the resources to take on this endeavor, and yes that includes cash on hand to carry this for what i believe to be at least 60 days during the plowing season. Equip. I currently have are two trucks seen in my sig. Obviously that's not going to cut it for this amount of work. I realize that . As far as the business side i have no problem with that right now. The wife is actually looking forward to this. Not only that, she is capable of making excel beg for mercy. Insurance, taxes billing, overhead, will be a breeze for her.

More to come....

3. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Why can't 2 trucks do the route are they not close

4. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

That is kind of my thought as well. Maybe get a third truck going, and have another beater for a backup. That would seem to cover it. I would have a hard time sending out one truck to do 25 driveways, unless they are really spaced out.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I sure hope there's more to the story. I could do 100 drives that are relatively close together in a couple three hours.

IF they were close together, and 2 wide, 60' long, it would take around an hour and a half.

6. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

I'll start with me. I live on the end of a 600' + private road. My GMC will be dedicated to this and any 911 calls from customers. Don't forget I have a full time job. I plan on doing this with 3 trucks. My second (a close friend will drive this, someone I can trust)and two others. Which I will sub.

Some are as small as 2 wide by 2 deep. Several are over a mile long. Case in point, A road to a farm I do. He has the equip. to do the job. But he is an older gentelman and his damn kids are to busy with "LIFE" to help him out.

Unfortunately they are not..

The town I live in encompasses 36 sq. mi. these accounts stretch to all four corners of it. With only a pop. of about 17,000. About 1/2 mile around "MAIN ST" is where 75% of people live. The rest are, you guessed it S P R E A D O U T !! 95% of these accounts are outside main st.

7. Bolt-1

Bolt-1 Senior Member

Sorry Mark Oomkes
    This should have been in my answer.

"As could I. But this is not the case. Although I've only been at it for about 10 years. I'm not the best but I'm proficient and learning every time I go out."

Somehow i messed up the multi quote in my replies

8. jbsplow

jbsplow Senior Member
    from -

lol your clearly blowing smoke, 100 driveways in a hour and a half? Good luck bud you must be making some serious cash ha

9. jbsplow

jbsplow Senior Member
    from -

What is that come out to about 45 seconds a driveway

10. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Subscribed !!!

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

U been using the stopwatch on the videos again?

12. Mark Oomkes

Why do you find it so hard to believe? If they're very close and all the same length and width, it is very possible. You just have to have the right equipment, which apparently you don't.

13. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

14. Mark Oomkes

15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Very boring.:cry:

16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Smoker Blower.......Here I am showing doing a driveway in 45seconds can be done with the proper equipment and I get Smoke Blower..... Pffttttt

17. Michael J. Donovan

Michael J. Donovan Head Moderator, Online Communities Staff Member

ok fellas, let's try to stay on topic

18. Mark Oomkes

Oops, sorry, I meant to say SNOW blower.

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Thank you....It takes a big man to admit an error, even a bigger one to admit it to me.....:laughing:

Inverted Snow Blowers are the cats meow for banging out driveways, 45dwys / hr X $30.00ea = $1350.00 in billing an hour. payup
    To bad you'd have to be in a urban area to get the most out of them.

20. jbsplow

jbsplow Senior Member
    from -

Ok What do you mean by the right equipment?? That Tractor with a snowblower, maybe if they were all in a row you could get 40-50 done in a hour. First of all your never going to have 100 driveways that are the same length on resi driveways. YA MAYBE A CONDO COMPLEX they will be the same. Secondly your going to have different **** in the way everytime you plow, places to push snow, parked cars etc. 3rd how long are you thinking these driveways would be.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015