1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

POSITIVE Fisher stories....

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by andcon83, Jan 3, 2010.

1. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I want everyones GOOD Fisher stories. People come on this site and post only when something is wrong, most generally looking for advice. Then everyone rants about how they are junk. I want to hear how tough your Fisher plow is. I have been running Fishers my whole life and have had good luck so far, and want to hear other stories.

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

The plow on my current avalanche I bought in 1995?/94.. It was the first MM electric SEHP style.. I bought it with a new truck.. I wanted hydraulic but they messed up.. This plow is now on it's 5th vehicle.. (they have been crashed or sold).. I am abusive to say the least on my plow.. I have never (knock on wood) changed anything.. Except the cutting edge!! I run a 8" 5/8 edge.. I have changed that maybe 8 times (give or take).. Same motor same lines same everything.. Except last year I Changed to a module so I rewired the original lights and plow harness.. when I finally Retire this plow or hand it down to another truck I will replace it with another fisher... A side note: I have owned probably over 100 plows Fisher Myers Baker Flink Western Snoway Curtis Some I can't remeber the names of .. heck I have even built my own custom plows.. I will only buy fisher from now until the end of time.. Just like I will only own a Chevy or GMC I know them inside and out and it is much easier to have one spare on the shelf.. I do however wish they built them like they used to.. The new ones are not cheap.. but cheaply built... (there is no substitution for strength!!!)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  3. Spikeo

Spikeo Junior Member

I bought a used pickup with a Speedcast plow setup in 1990. When I first go the truck I did a little residential work with it but for the most part it was my yard plow. I live in NH and get
    probably 15 plow-able storm a year. Well the truck gave out this year rusted and broken it was ready for the crusher but the SpeedCast was still working fine. In almost 20 yrs of use I did nothing to it "with the exception of a little fluid now and then". No replaced parts no maintenance what so ever and It was never down in almost 20 years . :eek:

4. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

My first was a 1986 GMC 1/2 ton with a 7 1/2' on it. I think the plow came new with the truck. I run the truck for 6 years. The 1986 1/2 ton is equal to todays 3/4 tons. Then I bought a 2001 GMC 2500hd, put a used 8.5 ez-v on in and pounded that for 4 years. That plow was tough. I hit stuff so hard, the pins for the angle pistons were bent do bad you could not get them out. Only problem with that on was I would get water in the fluid and it would freeze. Now I have a 2007 GMC 2500hd with a new 8.5 xtreme-v. I had a minor piston problem so far, but it was fixed no cost to me. I run it for 9 hours today and everything seems to be good so far.

5. branr1

branr1 Member

I own a 1995 Dodge 1500 that has a 8.5ft MM1 on it. I bought this truck from my Brother in 2002 and he bought it new and had the plow installed soon there after. With exception of a few welds and a cracked A-Frame this plow has been awesome. Its been used a lot and seen a couple different drivers who've used it hard. I'm so impressed with the durability of this plow that two weeks ago I bought a used 1991 F350 with an 8ft Speedcast on it. This truck and Plow Work great and I expect the same type of longevity I'm getting out of the MM1. I really like the Engine driven Hydraulics they've never given me a problem and I'm still on the Stock Alternators in both trucks.

6. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I had a 15 year old belt driving hydraulic system. Pump was getting tired but man it never gave me downtime. It was slow, but reliable. It was so reliable I took it from a 9ft blade and cut it down to 7.6ft to fit my half ton from a couple 1 tons we use to have.

7. Snow Miser

Snow Miser Senior Member

I've ran western, meyer, blizzard, and fisher brand plows. All my fishers have outlasted the other brands by at least twice as long. And I've had the least amount of problems with Fisher compared to the rest. Now my whole fleet is being converted over to fisher.

8. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

My Fisher has been trouble free for 3 years now. Only makes money. There are still tons of Speedcast units down this way. I will only own Fisher plows.

9. I understand what you are saying above but the newer generations of Fisher plows have had numerous issues. Here in the Northeast, Fisher is the plow of choice but reading about these issues as well as having a fleet of trucks with everything from 8', 8.5', 9', and the 9' MC(all Fishers), one has to be wondering going forward.

Having said that, and as my signature states, on my personal truck I'm running the same speedcaster blade I bought used in 1978. It's been through a lot of snow in 32 years. I've converted it from belt drive to Insta-Act/MM1 and it's been on 2 K5 Blazers(you "older" guys on this board will know what those were), 2 K1500 GMC pickups, 2 Suburbans, and is now on my '04 2500 HD. I widened it from 7.5 to 8.5 when I put it on the 2500HD. The blade is bulletproof and way better built than the Fishers of today. I doubt that I will ever replace it but you never know...

10. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

got a 78 speed cast here still wroks great no trouble with it.

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

My MM1 is a SEHP 2 Plug setup. The previous owner was not nice to it- the blade has a small bend by the left angle cylinder, and it also has a small rust hole through it. When I bought it (for $1000) I knew it would need a little tinkering. I realized the moron wired it completely backwards with all black wiring, so the motor was spinning in reverse. The plow would still raise and lower ok, but would always lock while angling. I rewired everything correctly, upgraded to a Fisher underhood sylenoid, and flushed out the ATF that was in it a few times and it has been flawless since. This is my second season with it, and last year we had a LOT of snow. This year is starting to ramp up as well and its been a great plow. Personally I think Fishers look heavier duty than the rest (especially A Frames), and the trip design works great. Plus the fact that I can do some minor work to mine, Run it for a couple years, then turn around and sell it for more than I bought it for makes it a no brainer to me.

Also, when I looked at used blades, the Fishers always seemed to hold up much better to rusting than any of the others (Boss, Wester, Meyer, Blizzars that I looked at).

12. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I have been plowing for about 7 years now for a company that only runs Fishers. I haven't had any complaints about them at all. I drove a 95 3500 4wd Cummins dump with a 9 ft hydro MM1 although it didn't raise very high it was a very smooth operating plow. I then moved into a 97 F350 4wd PSD dump another 9 ft MM1 this was the SEHP a little faster still didn't raise high either. Currently in another 350 dump 5.4 9ft MM2 a little faster yet and raises higher. Personally I own a new HT series on my Colorado the direct lift is outstanding I finally see what ol' 2Cor is raving about. The MM2 system is far superior to the older MM1s by leaps and bounds. I think Boss has faster hydros and the direct lift which I hope Fisher adapts to their plows in the near future. These plows are very rugged and built well, I do feel their customer service is kind of ass. Example I dropped the HT off to the the new pin installed on the jack and have the pressure reset left it there all day when to get it and they didn't do anything to it. I didn't rant or rave or even complain I'm not that type of person unless I feel I'm really getting the shaft. I took my plow back with me home a little heated but it was not a pressing issue so I just deal with it. Fisher needs to revamp their customer service to become number 1.

13. andcon83

andcon83 Senior Member

I like chain lift system. Had a few times I have blown hoses and have had to push plow into snowbank and chain it up. I also like being able to see the lift triangle. I use it as a gage on how high my plow is if I am plowing over someons soft lawn. The trip edge design is also best. Something about haveing the whole moldboard trip doesn't sound very good to me. I suppose everything mechanical will break sometime.

14. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I couldn't agree more. I have run Fisher's ever since I was a boy....they just aren't what they used to be.

The Blazers were the best plow truck ever. Monster truck with a plow. You don't see too many of them around anymore.

15. In order to keep this POSITIVE as the thread starter wishes, the two Blazers I had with Speedcasters were awesome snowfighters. Unless you had one, you won't understand.

16. robertpkerrsr@h

robertpkerrsr@h Member

I've been plowing (mostly the same driveways/lots) for 35 years. I started out with a 7 1/2 ft belt driven hydraulic plow that was on a jeep pickup I bought. Had the frame cut up and welded solid onto a 74 K20 Chevy that I had for 25 years. I put 350,000 miles on that truck with same Fisher plow. Never did a thing to the plow. I bought a new 2500HD GMC Duramax with and 8' MM in 2001 Truck and plow are running strong no problems.

17. bad93blaster

bad93blaster Member

i only had one problem with a fisher a car ran a stop sign and hit the plow on the side while it was up. he spun my 1 ton around a little better than 180. the next storm about 7-8 hours in the eyelets that the mold board pins to broke off. i will never buy anything other than a fisher there are they are 6 in my yard now and the 7th is showing up tomorrow

18. PAGE2004

PAGE2004 Senior Member

Ive had Meyers and Fishers for over 20 yrs.

There's NOTHING that compares to a Fisher plow setup.

Fast , durable and built to last.

( Those older SpeedCasters would run literally forever with minimal upkeep )

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The early Fisher plows were simple, and very well built. That's a recipe for success. Add in very good customer service, and you can build quite a reputation. Fisher was successful for many many years using this business model.

But things have changed, and like most brands, "They don't make them like they used to"

I've done plenty of grumbling about my XV, but it you read all my posts, you will know that I bounced over 5 tons of truck and spreader off a large tree with my XV this week. Plow still works, with much less damage than I would have ever believed. In fact, you really have to study the plow to see what is bent.

That is simply naive.

2a - http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/naive

20. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

My next door neighbor has his father in laws 1983 Dodge half ton sitting beside the garage and it looks like it has hit everything but the daily double . It was bought new in the fall of 82 with a 7 1/2' Fisher QS Hydro belt pump plow at NorthEast Chrysler Plymouth in Brewer Maine. They have pounded on this truck from day one with everyone in the family learning to plow snow with it for 28 seasons and it of course is all rusted out and wont pass an inspection and he told me the other day they are looking for something from the 90s that isnt rusty to replace the Dodge truck. I commented on how good the old plow still looked and he told me that it has had two new cutting edges since the day it landed here and that is IT for all those years . They have NEVER had a problem with that plow of any kind. And it appears to me, that it will easily outlast another pickup . Is there, or will there ever be, another plow, that can provide that sorta service????????