1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

positioning plow lights ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by groundbreakers, Dec 3, 2006.

1. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

gotta dumb question .... when you position snow plow lights at night .... do you position them while the plow is up ? or while the plow is down ??

2. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I'd do it while the plow is up, because that is the position it is in while you're driving on the road. It doesn't really matter if they are not pointed correctly while you're plowing.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Do you want to see driving to and from accounts or do you want to see when you are plowing?

I like to adjust mine for when the plow is on the ground..

4. Antnee77

from RI

Well it won't go far off when you drop it, but by adjusting them while the blade is up, you make sure that the lights aren't pointing up in the air and blinding all other drivers.

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

If you adjust the lights when the plow up.
    When you lower it the front comes up. It will go up even more when you add counterweight. Your lights will be pointed up in the air.

If you adjust them with the plow down and you raise the plow the lights will be shining at the ground, not up in the air..
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Bottom line is, it comes down to "personal preference"

6. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

appreciate the quick response ... just been bugging me at night time driving with the plow lights shining on the ground .... but i guess it also depends how much your truck drops when the plow is raised .. but good point .. about blinding poeple while driving ... thanks again ....

7. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

lol....so what you are all saying is that with these new units whith the power unit, lights and blade all in one, the lights move to different positions when plows up or down?

Oy vey....one more reason I like old school frame with pump and seperate blade attachments instead of these one piece deals.

But I'm glad you can hook up in three seconds.

Ya dont need properly adjusted lights to see when plowing Tony?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2006
  8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

9. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

No No... like any new or old set up. When the blades down on the ground the front end dumps the weight of the blade on the ground the truck body comes up even a 1/2 inch is going to tip your lights angle upward and it get exaggerated the farther out as they project from the truck. The proper way to adjust the lights is with the blade on and up off the ground like when you transport it.

10. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Oh I see now. I just thought these new one piece units had an inherent issue with the lights repositioningwhen in different mode.

Thanks for the info Yaz.

11. Antnee77

from RI

Yeah, it's just like any situation with a heavy load on either end of the truck. Even under heavy towing, the rear of the truck may dip down and point the front headlights up in the air and far from level. This puts the light far away from where it's needed, on the road.

12. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Head Lamps

I make sure the lights are adjusted when the plow Is up. If you need more light when your plowing...or need lights aimed to your preference...You can always add a extra set of small lights to the light bar...throw a switch In the cab and flick em on when needed...Just a thought