1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

posi-traction via welder

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by intimidator, Nov 14, 2001.

1. intimidator

intimidator Member

I talked to a guy that told me if you fill the space between two of the axle side gear teeth in the differential with a good weld , it would act just like a posi. Would this work on a truck that gets driven 95% of the time when snow is on the ground? Would this work on the front differential also? Anybody ever heard of this or actually tried it?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2001
  2. wildland

wildland Junior Member

you can weld the axle shafts, but this might cause failure to the carrier bearings.

Most of the new series lockers are simple to install, only a few hrs.
    this will save on tire wear alot!! and avoid costly breakdowns!!

We use detroit lockers in our fire trucks and no problems!!

Wildland

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

That is called lincoln locking. After the welder of course. People do it for mud boggers and trucks like that. It is not good for the axles though. I would resommend a locker instead.

4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Welding the diff - my opinion:

For a mud toy, yes.

For the application you're describing, no. The Detroit locker sounds like the better idea for your purposes.

5. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

don't even waste your time locking differentials-are just that-they lock when they need to,you'll be tearing the hell out of your tires and turning a corner will be alot different than it used to be,trust me -when i'm not pushing snow i work for american axle .

6. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

welded carrier

i had a welding shop weld the side gears on a 10 bolt gm rear end to go in my straight line race car. didn't have the courage to try it, have too much in the rest of the car to grenade the rear end and put into the wall or the other car. wound up spending a little $$$ for a new posi carrier. mud boggers, probably fine but i wouldnt do it on the street or track.

Mark K

7. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

BAD BAD IDEA FOR A TRUCK THAT WILL BE USED ON THE HIGHWAY MOST OF THE TIME IN THE WINTER. ON ICEY ROADS WHEN APPLYING ah nuts forgot the caps was on!! anyway...
    throttle the truck will spin both rear tires and it will start to fish tail very badly, not cool on ice with other traffic around .
    i had a bronco with a locked rear end at one time and you really had to pay attention to the truck in the winter!
    dan

8. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i have a cj-7 that i have the front welded up.........talk about traction!!

mud vehicle only