1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

posi lock

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by truck1500, Jan 16, 2003.

1. truck1500

truck1500 Member

i was wondering if anyone has put posi lock on there truck and if it works good at all. i have a 2002 2wd 1500 silverado

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I may be way off here, but isnt posi-lock used to manually engauge the front differential? I dont think you can put that on your truck. well you could but you have no front axle to engauge....:confused:

3. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Ive got a detroit locker on my 93 2500 4X4 diesel GMC. Works great, I can be in 2 wd half in the snow, but if the other back tire is on gravel or pavement she'll drive right out. Tends to spin to one side doing up hills in 2 wd though.

4. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Lock-Rite (sp) makes an incredible posi unit which allows the truck to also drive nice in non-slipping situations. Ie. around corners you do not want the unit to lock up. I installed this unit in about 2 hours and ran it for 3 years before parting with the truck. Worked great.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a few powertrax lockers,they are lock rites top of line locker insert.The Lock-Rite is not recommended for plowing,its too not built for the abuse.In your case since you only have a 2wd,not a plow truck,it would probably be fine.I love mine but they require a little extra attention when driving,the rear of the truck can/will slide to the low side whenever you have tire spin,this is real noticable in 2wd,can be dangerous in certain situations.I leave it in 4wd,so the tires dont spin much,and it keeps it from going sideways when you dont want to.They also hop quitea bit im tight turns,and increase rear tires wear.They are not for everyone,and i wouldnt want one on my daily driver,just my plow only trucks.