1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

posi doesn't work

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by mcwlandscaping, Feb 7, 2008.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Does anyone (B&B :) ) have the schematic for the gm gov lock rear end that's in my 97 chevy k2500? The last couple weeks i noticed that the other wheel doesn't lock up at all anymore and it's like i'm just driving with an open diff (not what i want at all). If anyone could provide some insight on what to do ide really appreciate it.....seems like i'm just living truck problem to truck problem lately :( all part of the game i guess

-mike-

2. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

I know the feeling. In the last 4 weeks I have dropped $1304.95 total into my truck in different repairs:realmad: All have happened while plowing to:dizzy: Thats what really pisses me off. I will see if I can find the schematic for you.

3. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

The first is a diagram of a 10 1/2 rear the second is all others

rear end.gif

rear end 2.gif

4. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

its what we all do the bigger guys can just slush fund the parts us smaller guys it hits harder

5. mcwlandscaping

Thank you so much for that! :) any idea on what may be causing the problem (like which part numbers)?

thanks guys,
    -mike-

6. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

I suggest pulling off the cover and seeing if there is any metal in the fluid . Is it making any noise?

7. mcwlandscaping

No noise that i know of, i'll pull the cover off and take a look....any ideas are welcome to check for :)

8. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

From what I read on it if it needs adjustment you replace the right side cam gear to do that. Needs a shop regardless as the specifications ie backlash etc have to be perfect. Check to see if the fluid is full first. If you want me to come take a quick look I can. Just call me. 660-1629. Ken

9. mcwlandscaping

I'll give you a call right after school....so you're saying that a shop would have to fix this due to close tolerances/specs?

10. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

I had to have mine rebuilt to the tune of $1200. It was whining for a long time and needed a new posi unit since the spider gears were shot.
    The whole unit is built with tight tolerences so I dont think it a back yard fix.
    Good luck.

11. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

If it needs to have certain parts replaced. I can take a look and give you a better idea. Just let me know

12. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

man it never ends for you.... hope you can figure it out.... or just trade her in for a new baby

13. mcwlandscaping

If it's going to cost more than $500 to fix then i might as well just get a detroit locker or something to put in there instead that's going to be bullet proof, i don't care about gas mileage too much, if its not going to break and be strong and last, then it's worth it.

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Check out the detroit trutrac for a posi unit. I have also heard good things about precision gears if those need to be replaced.

Also check out fullsizechevy.com, lots of information there.

15. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i am preety sure they dont make a detroit trutrac for the 9.5" 14 bolt

16. mcwlandscaping

17. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Do you know for a fact it needs it yet?

18. mcwlandscaping

no, just preparing for the worst as that's what seems to always happen :-/ i still would like to give you a call to see if you can look at this sometime to see if maybe it's not someting too too horrible that went wrong in there!
    -mike-

19. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

No problem. Just call me when you want me to look at it.

20. snowcan

snowcan Member

MCW the clutches in your diff will be burnt, thats why your posi doesn't work, that diff repair is not for beginners because of backlash/preload adjustments, you should at least change the oil now to reduce the amount of contamination left by the clutches to reduce the chance of fu damage to your ring and pinion and spiders. When you replace the clutches, expect that job to become a differential overhaul, (bearings, seals,etc.)