1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

POS Chevy won't start

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blk94fiveoh, Jan 29, 2004.

1. blk94fiveoh

blk94fiveoh Junior Member
    from MN

I can't get my 95 2500 silverado to start. Its been very cold here the past few days ( -20 ). Yesterday when i went to start it in the morning It made a weird grinding noise the first time I turned the key. The second time I turned the key, it started, but it turned over pretty slow. I had to run a couple of arrands, and when i came back out to the truck it was dead. It made a clicking noise on the drivers side, but that was it. After a few more tries, the clicking stopped, and now its totally dead. I hit the starter with a hammer while someone else tried to start it, and it sounded like it turned over for a split second, after that It wouldn't do anything.I had it towed home and I replaced the starter in my driveway ( -40 with the windchill) That did nothing. I also tried jumping it even thought the battery is about 4 months old (red top optima). I also made sure i was getting 12v to the starter. The headlights work, interior lights work, but the wipers, and the flashers don't. When i try to turn on the wipers it makes some weird noise from the dash area. I dont' get whats going on here, and I'm getting frustrated with this truck I just purched in november real fast.
    I have a western uni-mount plow on it.

Thanks for your help,
    scott

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

My standard attack procedure is start with the simple things and work up to the expensive things. Just a hunch but here is where I would start. You will get strange sounds from things under the dash when you have a totally dead batt.
    check fuses in those wiper and flasher circuits.
    A totally dead battery cannot be jump (cables) started as soon as you hook up the cables. Hook them up and let sit for 20 min. Pos. to Pos. neg. to neg. never mind that other crap way. Won't work. Try to start vehicle. Now see if all things work. Let us know and we will go from there. If vehicle starts check alternator for 14.5 volts at the pos. batt. terminal.

3. blk94fiveoh

from MN

Thanks for the reply. I had the battery load tested. and it was fine.The connections look good to the battery. I also checked the fuses on the side of the dash, and all of them looked fine. The locks, headlights and the windows work fine along with all the interior lights.The blinkers work, but the flashers don't I also don't hear the fuel pump when i turn the key...totally dead.
    Any other ideas?

Thanks again,
    scott

4. Bolts Indus.

Check in engine compartment for fuse box and check those fuses.
    Do you have strong volts to starter solenoid? Did you cross out solenoid to see if starter engages?

5. blk94fiveoh

from MN

OK i checked the maxi fuses under the hood, they all appeared ok. Although I do think this is the area where the clicking was coming from yesterday. (now there is no clicking) How exactly do you cross out the selonoid? My new selonoid only has 3 terminals 2 big, and 1 small whereas my old one had 4; 2 big, 2 small.

6. Bolts Indus.

From the large pos. cable post coming from the battery to the small ignition wire post. You said you changed the starter? Then why isn't it the same as the old one? 2 large and 2 small posts.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2004
  7. blk94fiveoh

from MN

Yes the starter is new, and identical to the old one accept for the absents of 1 small post. only 1 is used so I don't think it matters.
    I don' t know what to look for form here... I may try changing the positive wire from the battery to the starter tomorrow.

8. blk94fiveoh

from MN

Some more info...When i turn the headlights on and try to crank it over, the headlights don't dim at all...like its not even getting juice. Could this be a bad ignition switch?

9. Bolts Indus.

Could be but not likely. You have to work backward from the starter to rule things out. Jump the solenoid to see if it's the starter or solenoid and that there is juice there. Did you test the old starter you took off? If there is juice there and it turns over then you have to work backward through the ignition system.

10. blk94fiveoh

from MN

OK, I bench tested the old starter and it works. I also noticed that when i try to start the truck, the only warning light that comes on is the battery light. The check engine light, abs, etc does not turn on.

11. Bolts Indus.

Assuming you crossed out the starter solenoid and it turned over. OK check your owners manual for fuse or relay for start circuit or ABS. Some of these are resetable. If you find it use a volt meter and check the continuity of it. Smell it to see if it may be burnt. Should be under hood in engine compartment. Just keep ruling one thing out at a time. Did you just have this plow installed?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2004
  12. blk94fiveoh

from MN

I didn't cross out the new starter that is on the truck, just the old one. I'm assuming that the new one works because the truck has the same symptoms that it did with the old one. Now that you mention the smell....yesterday when i was tapping on the starter with a hammer while someone else tried to start it, I did kinda smell a 'burnt' smell, but I couldn't tell where it was coming from. I think i'm done for the night, its about -15 out and the metal is starting to burn my hands from the cold.

Thanks alot for your help!!!! its supposed to snow saturday so I need to get this thing running.

scott

13. towman

towman Member

sounds like you have a bad fusabile link , check the wires that go to the big terminal on the starter themselves, if they feel gummy and soft have a bad link, that will keep the wipers etc and keep it from cranking, a lot of the things on the truck feed from that terminal on the starter a lot of cars have four wires coming off of it, i think the truck only has two if i remember right

14. Bolts Indus.

Good luck and let us know how you made out. Maybe the answer will come to you in your sleep. Works that way for me at times.

15. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

I am with the possible fueable link, The starter circuit is simple. Make sure you connected the trigger wire (small one) to the terminal that was in the same place on the old starter, you cannot just use either one, I realize the new one has 2, make sure it is connected to the same terminal where the old one was. Get a test light, have someone turn the key to start and see if you are getting 12 volts to the small wire on the starter. If you are it should start, could be a bad new starter, Engine seized? Also make sure all your ground cables are tight and in good shape.

16. blk94fiveoh

from MN

the old one had 2 the new one has one terminal. Where is the fusible link for the starter?

17. 4speed

4speed Member

Just a thought here, I had a gmc a couple of years ago with a v-6,that would leave me stranded on occasion. I finally took a wire brush and cleaned the block where the starter bolts on.problem solved. A bad ground will screw you every time. Good luck.

18. towman

towman Member

the fusible links are part of the smaller wires that go to the big terminal on the starter, they are ususaly a couple inches above the terminals, if they are bad they will feel squishy and not solid, if you find a bad one make sure you replace it with fusible link wire only, it is designed to melt and not let other items get damaged, can be bought at any auto parts store

19. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

Have you thought about a possible exposed/grounded wire? I experienced similar symptoms on a 94 Chevy van. I rewired the fusible link, turned the key, and the fuse popped again. I checked the wires again and it turned out to be an exposed wire grounding out on the header. If the truck is like that van in any way, the smalller wire drapes across the motor to the drivers side firewall where the fusible link should be. Look for smoke from the drivers side fire wall when you turn the key.

Tony

20. blk94fiveoh

from MN

Thanks for all the replies guys...it turned out to be a bad ground from the battery. Its amazing how something so simple can be such a PITA. I'm lucky I got it going, because we've had 6 inches today with another six on the way for tomorow!

scott