1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Portsmouth Ford In New Hampshire?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Allagash, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

I was just quoted $3095 installed or $2895 out the door on a new 800. That's the cheapest I've found yet. Plus in NH, there is no tax!

Anyone have any experience with these guys?

Should I trust their techs to intall it or should I do it myself?

It's not the $200 I'm worried about saving, I just want a clean install (especially the wiring) and I know if I do it, all connectors will be heat shrunk and not scotch locked.

2. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Doing the install is part of knowing how to fix it if anything happens. Thats worth more than a free install to me.
    I did read that Poertmouth Ford sold a lot of them last year and the price was great. Check the price at Pro Image racing in Manchester NH for a comparison, I bought mine there and they had a better price and the guy is available in snow strorms. Great to deal with as well.

3. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

Yeah, I've decided that no matter what, I'm doing the install. I like your point that if I install it, I'll know better how to fix it if there is a problem.

4. ram1500

ram1500 Member
    from ma

I had a friend just come back from there. Had a 800 installed on a 2500 Dodge truck. They installed the frame with two bolts on each side and no washers in the cross members. The frame was short bolts in the required holes. The plow was just thrown together. I told him you get what you pay for. He had to go through the whole plow to fix eveything they did. He went to a Blizzard dealer in another state and he said take it back to Portsmouth Ford. They did the install. I also told him who will fix the plow in a snowstorm if it breaks,if your over an hour a way. What will you tell your customer I will be back in 2-3 hours to finish the job or next week. This alone will make you lose the money you saved or lose your accounts. I told him service is the most important thing when plowing.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  5. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

I Had 2 Plows Put On From Them This Year, Their Salesman Are Idiots But There Installers Are Good And You Cant Beat The Price.. I Drove 40 Miles To Have Them Put My Blizzards On. Just Remeber Service, If It Brakes They Aint Gunna Fix It At 2 Am So You Need To Know Your Stuff When It Comes To These Plows.

6. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

portsmouth ford install new 800

You guys have me thinking now. I have an appt. next week for a new 800 install for ($2995, can't beat it), but.

Are their installs really that bad?. I know pro image in Manchester NH is $400 more, but......

What do you think??????????

Ed
    Cape Cod:confused:

7. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

If you are going to have it installed either go over everything nut and bolt that Portsmouth touches, or go to pro image. My truck side mounting was fine from portsmouth, but they missed alot of torque specs on plow side bolts, and hoses.
    Dino

8. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

portsmouth ford install

Ed

That's what I'll have to do. Recheck everything, all nuts/bolts/ everything with appropriate torque specs.

Oh well. Thanks for the heads up. I called them and somewhat questioned there were some problems with some installs, and immediately were told that a "Mr. Lang" (a nearby competitor of sorts I guess) was bad mouthing them. But assured me of their quality.

Thanks again
    Ed
    Boston/South Shore

9. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Mr. Lang doesnt even sell Blizzard, he sells Fishers, about a million of them.

I know a guy who brought his Ford to Portsmouth Ford for service work a couple years ago, check engine light kept coming on. They couldnt seem to fix it. After several times it was "fixed", and he only found out how when he took his dash apart for some reason or other and saw that they had apparently broken the bulb with pliers! It was still in its socket and the little bits of glass were still evident. He went ballistic on them. I know of at least one other similar story but that is the only one that I know for a fact is true. I think I might call them for a price, only because I'm poor and I would be installing it myself anyway. I wouldnt let them touch anything of mine. They'd probably get jealous if they got to see a real truck up close :>

10. Detroitdan

Got a price on an 810 of $4395 installed, $4195 cash and carry. Pro-Image beat that, except they charge more for installation. Probably have to charge more because it takes longer if you actually tighten all the bolts..

11. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

When did Pro-Image beat that price and by how much?

12. Detroitdan

couple weeks ago they told me $4100 cash and carry, $4600 installed. Today he said it was $4675 installed. Priced a subframe to make a used 810 fit my truck, he was $150 more than Portsmouth Ford. And he tried to talk me out of buying used. Said they had a lot of problems.

13. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I have done a lot of work with Mike over at Pro-Image. He is the man when it comes to plows. Once i had a problem with my sno-way drove right there he and another guy came right out to fix it. Great service. I am not going to risk it over a couple hundred $$. Service and doing it right the first time is well worth it.:salute:

14. Detroitdan

yeah, he made sure to make me feel welcome to come to him for help no matter where I got the plow. He's good people.

15. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

New 800 just installed by Portsmouth Ford

Happy with new 800!! Great looking plow. Looks MUCH beefier than the Fisher too, especially the A Frame section.

Just picked the truck up from Portsmouth this past week. Rechecked all bolts, only two missing washers, so I'll add/redo those. Other than that, everything looks good, clean and tight. Can't beat the price, $2995 installed!!!! Friendly folks, easy drive.

Now just need the snow!

Ed
    Cape Cod

16. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

does anybody have the phone no. for portsmouth ford?

17. Detroitdan

603-433-1221 ask for parts dept.

18. ed salvatore

ed salvatore Member
    from boston

Portsmouth Ford Install/RAM1500 question

I have had a chance now to more closely gone over the install of the new 800from Portsmouth, Ford. Aside from a missing washer on a lower bolt, I question one other area I noticed.

On the drivers's side, "dog leg" of the plow to the upper part of the frame attachment. It comes upward a ways (toward the side if the motor), and bolts to the inside of the frame rail (one bolt) with a "shoulder" or "shelf" that fits under and against the bottom of the frame rail. There is a single bolt (w/out washer)through the attachment arm into the inside of the frame rail. I don't know if it's self tapping or if there is a nut on the it, I can't see inside the rail.) The "shelf" that looks like it should fit up against the bottom of the frame rail does not appear to have contact with the underside of the frame rail (I can slide a portion of my hand in between the "bottom of the rame rail and the "shoulder". Is this normal? I thought of removing the bolt to atempt a reposition, but wasn't sure I could get it back in, or even if it has a nut on it (is it self tapping?). It's on there very tight and very near the steering shaft knuckle.:confused:

RAM1500 or anyone else with a Dodge and a Blizzard have a similar setup?