1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Portsmouth Ford / 810PP

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by ThisIsMe, Nov 6, 2006.

1. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Well I got the 810pp put on from Portsmouth. I just got through going over the thing with a fine tooth comb. All I can say they did a top notch job. All bolts and washers in there and torqued, cable run as nice as possible etc...........

Even the controller loom was sealed with a sealer where it passed through the firewall through the clutch pedal hole. Nice. Looks like the someone took the time to install it as if it were there own.

There were 4 plows going on the day I was there. I am sure the quality might depend on which mechanic does your work.

Took about 3.5 hours total (heck the truck was on the lift 5 minutes after I got there). If you ever go there and have a wireless laptop, bring it. They have access in the waiting lounge. Wish I only knew before hand, but I had a couple of people bitching about there car for hours to provide some of the entertainment.

As far as the plow, this is my first Blizzard. Two Fishers to go along with it here. Love the plow and cannot wait, but the paint quality on these things is sickening. I have plenty of rust spots already. The subframe looks like is was painted down at the beach as there is so much sand and dirt under the paint. You could strip most of the paint off with a fingernail. I have a number of rusted bolts on the plow already and the right wing has huge rust issues under the paint. I give it until the first snow before I have a 5 square inch of paint missing. I sure hope the light frame paint holds up better then the undercarriage or the plow, seeing that it stays mostly on the truck.

The standard controller works great but reminds me of a remote control that Hitler would have on his TV. It works nice but is too large and really needs to be removed each time, less you want to give up your front seat console. To make matters worse, the connector on the controller is only rated at 25 cycles. This will be my first mod. :)

Other then that love the plow and bring on the snow. :)

Chris.

2. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

As far as the plow, this is my first Blizzard. Two Fishers to go along with it here. Love the plow and cannot wait, but the paint quality on these things is sickening. I have plenty of rust spots already. The subframe looks like is was painted down at the beach as there is so much sand and dirt under the paint. You could strip most of the paint off with a fingernail. I have a number of rusted bolts on the plow already and the right wing has huge rust issues under the paint. I give it until the first snow before I have a 5 square inch of paint missing. I sure hope the light frame paint holds up better then the undercarriage or the plow, seeing that it stays mostly on the truck.
    Was this 810 this years model. Because the 810's I have in stock have no rust or chips on them at all, not even behind the wings. The paint has gotten better the past 2 years on this product. Maybe the plow was left outside and the crate was leaking water.

Just a quick note make sure the installer soldered your battery connections on the 4 gauge red and black wires.

Good luck with your new plow

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  3. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Was this 810 this years model. Because the 810's I have in stock have no rust or chips on them at all, not even behind the wings. The paint has gotten better the past 2 years on this product. Maybe the plow was left outside and the crate was leaking water.

Just a quick note make sure the installer soldered your battery connections on the 4 gauge red and black wires.

Good luck with your new plow[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice.

I am pretty sure it was this year. I did see it come out of the crate. Nice packing, but I am not sure it is waterproof. Or is it? I read an awful lot on the poor paint on these things so it was sort of expected. :(

The connections being soldered was not done. I am thinking that I am going to rewire the power cables as a lot suggest on this site (to alt, ground to plow frame, etc). I will definitely solder them at that point.

By any chance, does anyone know what the unmarked tube that comes with the plow is? I am assuming it is dielectric grease, but cannot confirm this.

Chris

4. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

The tube is the grease for the wires. Make sure you solder the connections because over time they could arc and become loose and cause a fire. I have seen several trucks burn because of this reason.

5. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Thanks again. I will definately solder all the wires when I run through it. Heck I have like 30 bottles of small propane to get rid of here. This will put them to good use.

Chris