1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Portable telephone

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by hyperpack, Oct 11, 2003.

1. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Does anyone use a telephone that you can use in the truck and how usefull is it?
    I have seen these around and thought it might come in handy.
    What is the cost for this service and is there one type that is preferred or works better, Also what is the range and do they work in bad weather? Years ago I tried a CB radio and it wouldn't get across town.
    Thank you Hyperpack

2. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Are you talking about a cell phone? I don't know what a "portable phone" is.

3. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Cellular Phone

Yes Micah79 a cell phone, Do they work well?
    Thanks Hyperpack

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Cell phones have almost become a mandatory piece of equipment, if for nothing else but your safety. If you have an emergency while out working, the call for help is always at your fingertips. They can be great time savers too, in helping work with multi-truck operations.

Whether or not they will work for you will depend on the service available in your area. Some outlying remote areas still have poor service, check to see how reception is in your area. I would ask any prospective provider for a loaner phone for a week to be certain it will work in the areas you service.

The next technology will be satellite phone service, where there will no longer be fringe service areas.

5. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

We use motorolas with the nextel system, combo of cell and nationwide two way radio. on the east coast i have some dead spots in service on 295 in Jersey and in NY near the Conn. border. While my phone is a philly area exchange I have no problems using it from DC up to Northern CT. Now with the nationwide two way I have had clear conversations with people out of state. up in New England.

Locally, the phones/two way are usually decent. In some areas where friends phones had no signals, I still had service.

I think any major brand should work for you as long as there are cell towers to accomodate the phone in your area. Check online with companies you know and see what there local and nationwide coverage is.

I don't know the cost, since it is provided by work. We run many nextels and probably get a special deal on the phones.

6. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

Wow, I was caught off-guard by that, kinda goes to show hwo much we take them for granted nowadays...

Northern Wisconsin you probably have coverage issues... I'd check with a couple local sources... Online maps will be useless when you start talking about wilderness...

7. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

"Northern Wisconsin you probably have coverage issues... "

I'm guessing that will definitely be the case since he didn't even know what they are. Please don't take offense Hyper, but it is funny to hear that question. I thought for a minute or so while replying & I can't think of anyone I know that does NOT have a cell phone, except most of the younger children I know (most of the high school, & many Jr High students all have them these days too). Been using the cells for any long distance calls for years because they are cheaper than using the land line. OK At this point I did think of one or 2 that I don't think have one, so its still not everyone.

8. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Hyper,
    We just got decent cell service last year. We use a combo of cell phones and the FRS radios. We buy them in pairs at Sams club. Rural Colorado still has major holes in the coverage for cells. We just made it mandatory for our subs to carry a cell. We are not very far ahead of rural WI. ;)

9. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Have you seen those commercials on TV where the guy is always someplace different saying, "Can you hear me now? Good..." *That's* one of those phones.

(I think it's a stupid ad campaign, because one of the most annoying aspects of cellphones is that so often you do have lousy service--invariably at some point in the conversation you're saying, "Can you hear me now?")

10. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Sir...........what you are experiencing is static..............you need the power of the only all digital all PCS network.

Ok ok ok those commercials are on so much that I have them memorized :)

Jay

11. NoStockBikes!!

:D Yup, no static w/ the digitals... It goes from "ssssCansssssYousssssHearssssMessssnow?ssss" to "C n ou h r me w?"

12. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

we use nextel's too. ditto what everyone else says. coverage is an issue. we've got a few that we throw in the employee and sub trucks that have payper minute cell use and unlimited direct connect-its pretty cheap. that way we can talk with everyone to check up or render assistance, and if they want to make a personal call they can, i just talk it outta their pay.

13. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I use verizon and have been for years. Very satisfied with their service in my area.

14. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Good one NoStockBikes! :D

SZorno,
    I've been out there a few times & was actually quite surprised at how much coverage I found out there with my Verizon phone. And I didn't stay on the beaten tracks all the time either.

15. festerw

festerw Senior Member

I have Verizon service here and have had friends with other carriers and the Verizon service is far superior to the others (around here anyway).

16. NoStockBikes!!

I've gotta say that I've heard good things about Verizon's coverage area... Nothing's perfect, though. Out @ Sturgis, defending where we were we only had one of 4-5 diff ones in our group working, including Verizon...

17. ROSELAWN

ROSELAWN Member

NEXTEL, NEXTEL,NEXTEL!:waving:

18. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

I'd have to agree with NEXTEL (insert patented double-chirp) It gets it DONE!! I can't even estimate how much I used to spend on overage during plowing months. I had 2 phones- 1 sprint and 1 AT&T in order to keep from going over my minutes. Everyone else I plow with had nextel, so it's really slick for us. It's kinda like a speakerphone, but since it's not trying to duplex, you seem to get much clearer communications over the speaker. I don't like trying to shoulder a phone while running a steering wheel, shifter and plow control- not to mention playing keep-away from the idiots... (I know, I know- don't talk while plowing)

19. rainair

rainair Senior Member

nextels V Cb's or other cell phones

I have nextels for all my crews, I can talk to just 1 operator or just my crew leaders or I can talk to all and keep others from hearing where I am sending a plow

20. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

Same here. They are worth every penny. I just got my wife the Blackberry and I might have to get rid of the old lap top and get one for me.