1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Portable jump start unit

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Shady Brook, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

Does anyone use one of the portable jump start units on the market now? I mean the ones that you charge up, and throw in the truck in case you or someone else needs a jump. Are worth anything? I wonder how many shots you have at starting the vehicle before the life drains out of the unit. Anyone have any experience with these? I have a Powerstroke, I wonder if it would do me any good if the batteries get low. Brand types would be helpful as well, I just don't want to throw my money away.

Thanks
    Jay

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I got a couple of them. I have used it once to start a PSD. It will fire it. Mostly we use it on smaller equipment. In the winter they are kept charged and ride in the trucks in case a spreader will not turn over. Most of them will give you plenty of jumps before recharging. Mine are actually made by Prestone but I got thme at my local auto supplier.

3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

Thanks Fireman

Do you know of any place else that has the Prestone brand? Any idea how many amps it throws, I have seen some at 1300 amps, and some do not indicate.

Thanks
    Jay

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I don't own one but my brother in law rescued me once with one. I had a battery short out on my old pickup and that lunch box sized unit got me going. I'm pretty impressed with them.

CTFireman, I've read reviews on these tools and they say the fastest way to shorten the life of the battery is to do multiple starts between recharges. They should be recharged after each use. You might want to check in to this.

By the way, career or volunteer?

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Volunteer

the directions that came with mine said that they could take like 300 recharges or something like that. Directions have long since disappeared. I do remember that it said to let it drain more that 50% (there is a little meter) before boosting. Mine are 3 years old and still work great. Maybe there are different models. Not sure of all the technical stuff and I am afraid the Daves are going to start another battery debate here. Again I will say that mine work fine after three years. When they stop I will replace them. Definately worth having IMO.

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I remembered where I had read it, in AW Direct's catalog. Your operator's manual would be a better guide.

Shady Brook, you will find a selection of starting units there.

I'm a 22 year volunteer also!

7. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Did I hear some one mention my name? ;)

8. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Shady Brook,

I have a portable jump start unit w/dc plug attachment.

I have had mine for aobut 5 years now. In the blizzard of '96 here I used it to power another rotating becon to be seen better (can't have enough light). The. D.C. becon lasted over 15 hours on full charge.

The instructions that came with mine stated over 1000 recharges.
    Mine was made by a company that makes the portable jumpstarters for Carlots.

The ones out now like prestone seem to do an excellent job. Check O'Reilly Automotive I know they carry the prestone brand in my area.

9. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

We have then at the gas station. they work great. a few of the employees have also bought their own. they can be had for like $80 if you shop around. I'm going to get one soon.

bryan

10. 2 shot

2 shot Junior Member

Snap-on has one that uses jacobs electronics , they
    get like $350-400 for them but the cool thing about them is
    after about 15-20 starts you just leave them hooked up to the battery for 10 minutes and it's charged. Another plus is it
    uses capacitors in place of batterys there for not as heavy.

11. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

Thanks a bunch for the input fellas, it has been helpful. I think I will pass on the cheaper models, and go for something decent. I do not think I can afford a snap on, but maybe a K & K, or a prestone seeing how the Fireman has proven them effective.

Thanks again
    Jay

12. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

i have never had any luck with any of those, they last about a year and then kaput. we have had 6 of em over the years and they just dont last. so i built my own. i used a good battery with a handle and 2- 5 foot cables i put clamps on. i can jumpstart the tallest 4x4 with the jumper sittin on the ground. it just gets put on the battery charger 1 time a week and i can even start dead diesels with it.

just my thoughts
    Mark K

13. SCL

SCL Senior Member

I have two of the "cheapies" and they both have been great. Two years running. Themodels I have can be bought at the local Menards for $40. Will start a Deutz diesel tractor from dead and still have jump left. I say for $40 you can't go wrong. By the way they come with a cig. lighter plug that will also recharge the unit.

14. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

The Walmart here sells the Prestone starters for $69.

15. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I don't think I would spend too much on them. Mine take a beating and have held up. I don't think I would want to throw the $240 one from snap-on in the back of my pickup.

16. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i bought one tonight from wal mart......i will use it more often to test to see if a 12 volt accessory works or not

17. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

I found a unit at Menards for $35. It comes with the compressor, and work light. I mean this thing has got to be a piece of junk. Anyway, my question is, this is just a battery right? Like speedracer said, couldn't you just use a big 1000 cc battery hooked up to some big meaty cables and get the same effect, only being limited by the cables? Is the unit mainly for convienience so you do not have to drag out a huge battery, and it's ease of recharging?

It is hard to pass up $35 bucks. It may only blow up a bike tire with that 250psi, but it sure looks handy. :D

Jay

18. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

My parents got me one for Christmas. I haven't had a chance to use it for anything yet but I can see that the biggest advantage to it is the fact that the battery is sealed and won't leak acid in your truck.

Bruce

19. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Okay shady you are essentially right. So buy your battery for $60, drag the 40 pound monster around, hook it up to your 20 foot cables, and when your done put it back on your charger. Or just unplug your 15 pound jump pack fromthe wall and take it with you. Kinda like saying "why use that truck to plow with when there's a perfectly good shovel in the corner?

20. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

SCL

Point well taken. My thought was, if a Big battery would work fine, it would probably be able to pass on a whole bunch more amps then the unit in my hand, or would do the same as the $300 jumper I could buy. Bacially just thinking out loud, and looking to see what others were thinking.

Jay