1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Portable Jump start unit as gift

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Grass?, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

I was given a "Schumacher" PS-250A jump start unit for christmas

Anyone know if this one is any good or sould I take it back & get something better I have no clue how much was paid for it in a store?
    I heard the K&K 4000 is pretty good & I doubt will cost much more.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2002
  2. a palustris

a palustris Member

It's funny you should mention that. I was given a booster pack a couple of days ago as a present as well. Came from a customer. I believe the brand is "Solar" and its an ES2500?
  3. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Pretty much all the same... I believe they are made by a company called "Taiwan". They all work about the same:D
  4. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

:D :D :D

I can't speak to the models mentioned here, but can tell you from the car transport industry that you get what you pay for. And so far I have not run into one yet that was worth spit that cost much under $100.
  5. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Their specs claim 850 peak amps and 250 cranking amps. However they along with every other mfgr. fail to state the length of time these high amps can be sustained. 850 peak amps is just that-- a peak measurement over a given time (of which they conveniently choose to omit since it would expose the real worth of their product!). The time factor may be 1/2 second or far less. The cranking amps is much the same. Perhaps 250 amps for 1 second. Depending upon the state of discharge of the vehicle's battery, these boosters are worthless. If the vehicle's battery was marginal a booster pack could start the motor, but even then the booster pack's rating has alot to do with it. Basically an 18amp/hour battery is equivalent to the kinds used in kids riding toys. You could go alot further using a garden tractor battery in a small case! The only advantage to these booster packs is their sealed design prevents acid fumes and leaks. A battery used for starting a motor should always have a high cranking amp number vs. a reserve capacity as deep cycles types do. I have seen professional grade booster backs used at dealer lots that employ a serious battery... a unit weighing much closer to a car battery. Those types are worthy.

Personally, I think those booster packs are a joke, marketed by slicksters. They are good for powering 12 volt camping items/tv only. The only thing worse are those horrible jump starter units that plug into the cigarette sockets of both vehicles... absolute trash... marketed to those who don't have a clue about automotive starting requirements. :realmad:
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2002
  6. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

last year in january our shop truck wouldnt start to plow the parking lot, battery dead only clicked, our booster was like $129 3 years ago, hooked it up and the 400 hp 350 fired right up.
    I think it was bought from sams club not sure
  7. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Hey, what a stroke of timing on this subject! I received one of those 12v combo units for an Xmas gift. Looking at it more closely today, I discovered it has a vacuum, air compressor, emergency/work light, and an aux. cig lighter socket all in one handy dandy small pkg. Even is supposed to jump start a car thru the double ended cig. plug wire!! LMAO! All that from a little rechargeable battery inside a unit that weighs probably 5-6 lbs! 300 lbs of air pressure too! Should run my impact wrench and air grinder quite well huh?;)
  8. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

It is the THOUGHT that counts right man??? Sad to say the multi units are even worse POS than the others that are just a jumper only. I had a $59.99 jump box that was OK, but just barely. And then some body stole it from me, I didn't think they got much, especialy since I had the battery charger for it.
  9. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I should say that I do have one.. It works great on my Jeep, doesn't work for crap on my diesel. I tried it once on a friends rodeo who's batteries were completely dead (damm kids), didn't work.

I have a 69.95 century one. I still carry it in the truck because it fits in the jack compartment of the Excursion and there is a powerport right there to keep it charged.

I just think they arre all about the same...mediocre.

from NJ

I have a JNC - 660 , dont know the spec s off hand , Have had it for a few years, and it works great , jumped a plow truck about 10 times and still didnt need to recharge it... ( did not want to put a new batt in that truck just yet, so every morning I would use the jump pack to get it going. and everytime I turned the truck off, needed it again to restatrt it.. did that for about a week.. ) LOL...
  11. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

I bought one at Home Depot $49.00. Used it to start my boat ( V-8 Mercruiser) this summer after I killed both batteries partying. I must admit I didnt think it would work, but she fired right up. Well worth it in my opinion.:drinkup:
  12. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Mine works great and was a cheepie for christmas.
  13. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

Interesting what some folks expect to accomplish with something, regardless of what the manufacturer's purposes might have been.
    I've owned one of these portable batteries for 2-3 years. I think we bought it at Sam's Club for about $60. I never have expected it to actually REPLACE a battery and I have never been disappointed. But I've used it countless times to supplement what I know to be a low battery in a unit or as a booster for a piece of equipment that hasn't been started for months. I have never tried to substitute it for a battery--although in some cases, depending on the requirements of the vehicle, it may have worked in that capacity. If the portable battery would not turn a diesel, what is the big surprise there? Hardly the fault of the battery, keeping in mind the tremendous draw involved in starting a diesel. More than one hooked together might do a mediocre job, but one intended to jumpstart a car--c'mon!
    I too would have my doubts about the all-purpose air compressor, camp lantern, flashing emergency light, etc. (how about a CD player too--that was a joke) being much beyond a POS.
    But let's be fair. Like any other piece of equipment, if the operator doesn't try to get more out of it than it was originally designed to produce, he probably won't be disappointed.
    Sorry I blew up, but my experience has generally been favorable anyway.
  14. SCL

SCL Senior Member

I picked up one of the "cheapies" used at an auction 2 years ago. Still works great. I have used it many times to spin over my diesel tractor/loader, even in cold weather. While I've had mine 2 years, my father in law has went through 4-5 of them. Maybe i got the last good one:eek: