1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

portable garage for salt storage?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by cmo18, Sep 28, 2013.

1. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I'm tired of storing salt outside under a tarp, never stays dry and is a pain in a** after plowing for 12 hours to go and shovel off the pile.

I was thinking of buying a portable garage and maybe using 1 row of concrete blocks around the base for the tent to sit on so I have support instead of the salt sitting up against the tent???

Any one use a portable garage before?? Seems the cheapest solution, as long as it hold up.

It will be installed in between trees and my garage so not a lot of wind will get to it. 12'x20'x'8 is about $750 and $600 in concrete blocks...
  2. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

good idea I would use a metal shopping cart coral so you could close the sides in the off season it can double for extra storage
  3. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

They usually cant handle the snow load. The bracing is like 2' apart. I wouldn't buy those shelter logic ones from crappy tire. These guys look like they make some good stuff. One of these days when I have somewhere to put one ill get one. http://www.cover-tech.com/portablegarages.htm

They are from your neck of the woods too.
  4. rjigto4oje

If it's metal the snow should slide off like metal roofs or it could be reinforced imo its better than the on in that link
  5. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

How about a 20 foot sea-can??? Used ones can be purchased for around $2500 where i'm at. There wide enough to drive a skid steer into.
  6. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Farm Tech has some nice shanty's reasonably priced
  7. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I thought about it and it would definetly work but i think the wife would have a panic attack if one was in the yard. I would be sleeping in it.

The portable garages dont look out pf place. No one else has used one?
  8. rjigto4oje

it sound like your wife and my wife might be related just make sure you put heat and running water in it