1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

POR ..paint over rust product

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by xtreem3d, Nov 4, 2007.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

just wanted to pass on a link to this stuff, this is my first year using it so i can't comment on how it works yet. i do know that it dries unbelievably hard, almost like powdercoat.

http://www.por15.com/

2. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

I seen this stuff on TRUCKS (TV) and the guy Stacey said it was the only product that really works over rust.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I use it all the time. Works great, just follow the instructions.

They have a kit with the prep and paint that's worth the money

4. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

It is not UV rated so it will need a top coat of paint to protect it from UV degradation.

5. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

I've been using it for years. It works if you follow the directions and you're meticulous about prep. As stated, it needs to be top coated if exposed to sunlight. You can top coat it with other POR-15 products, but if you want to top coat it with regular paint, you need to use thier special primer and it's expensive.

6. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

the rustier the better and you must paint over it. I used it on my trailer but then got lazy and busy (or was it busy than lazy:D ) and never top coated it. needless to say it faded right out and is peeling up in spots (two years later)

7. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

I use it on all my car restorations (on frame/chassis). Works like a champ. I normally bead/sand blast to clear the loose rust and get down to "seasoned metal". Goes on with a brush, but looks sprayed on when dry (has great flow characteristics). For small jobs POR-15 is sold in half pint 6 packs. You can mix and match color (silver or black). Applied to a properly prepared surface it will last for years without blistering, pealing or RUSTING.

Chris

8. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

i repainted my plow 3 seasons ago after doing some weld repair on it. i had some paint left over from a jeep frame i painted earlier and i wanted to get rid of it, so i used it on the plow. it was POR-15 and its great. it goes on a gloss balck, but turns into a flat black over time as its not UV resistant (as mentioned). after entirely disassembling the plow for welding purposes, i sandblasted it and brushed on the POR-15. its held up great. i top coated the front of the plow red for visibility purposes, but that rolled off after a season of plowing, so its all black now and very, very little of the POR-15 has rolled off in the past few years. three tips: do not use a primer - unless its a POR primer (brush it directly onto the bare/rusted metal), do NOT get it on your hands - wear gloves, you will not get this stuff off your hands, and do not use a brush you intend to save, get a cheapie brush because it will not come clean.

9. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I use it all the time and it is great stuff! I tried it without a topcoat of paint and it didn't last 3 months without degrading, but now I POR it, wait a day or two, and then give it a topcoat of rustoleum and it works fantastic!

10. Blazin

Blazin Senior Member

You don't have to use their primer as long as you top coat it within 8 or so hours. I use it under high build urethane primers, under acrylic enamels ( Centari, or SEM ), Urethane enamels ( Imron ). I have also switched to this product. Its the same stuff but almost half the money.
    http://4wheeldrive.about.com/cs/classicrestoration/a/aa042003a.htm
    Have been using it for a while now and have had great results.

11. 129

129 Junior Member

Por-15

Great product. I used it when I did some welding work on my trailer. I applied it after the welding was done, and three years later, its still holding up great with no rust! It does take a little more time to apply it correctly, but the results are worth it.!:salute:

12. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Where is grandview when you need him, he has an answer for everything. Yes the stuff works great..

13. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

i used it on my salt spreader spinner 2 years ago. i put on 2 thick coats. 2 years later and it still hasn't wore threw, and you know how hard salt is on spinners it's like sandblasting it! good stuff, i paint the frame's and brake and fuel lines etc. on all my trucks.