1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Por 15

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by snowish10, Oct 8, 2014.

1. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

I por 15 my axle and frame on my 2001 f350

por 15 1.jpg

por 15 2.jpg
  2. anz27

anz27 Member

Looks great! Did you brush it on or spray it? I have brushed on, but never sprayed. I always wondered how well it would work spraying, just afraid of it getting over spray onto the actual body paint.
  3. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

NICE! Don't you have to prep it with one one spray, than a second one and keep it wet for like 20 minutes?? I've heard of some other products too, but this one the most. Looks nice!
  4. Ne1

Ne1 Senior Member

Worked good for about two seasons and then started peeling off.
  5. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Brushed it, I would also like to know how it is to spray. But I currently dont have the right tools to spray it. Majordave- yes there is a marine cleaner if have to keep the metal wet for 15-20 mins then wash, some people use metal prep same process or you could just paint it on. It works get tho, my doors I did last year no rust expect for a few spots in the corners were I couldnt get a really good scraper in get down to good metal. But other wise way every penny.
  6. Drano0127

Drano0127 Junior Member

This stuff is amazing. We have used it on all kinds of equipment. Just make sure to follow the directions as we have found it works better when you use it exactly as instructed.m
  7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I hope it works well for you. I painted three International plow truck frames with it and it was rusted off by the end of the season. Probably on a truck that's not spreading sand and salt it will work great on.
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

For good results you need to use "marine clean" first then primer with "metal ready" before applying POR15. My experience is the stuff is about indestructible if you prep it properly.
  9. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

dittos here , stuff disintegrated on a few areas. prepped it beforehand too
  10. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

It seems there are either people saying it's awesome or doesn't work at all....must just be how it's put on I'm assuming. I heard good stuff about Bill Hirsch Miacle Paint as well - same stuff basically.
  11. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

it is not desinged to go over a nice smooth and shiny surface. POR stands for paint over rust, and thats what it's designed to do. put it onto new metal and it will peel off. it adheres to rough surfaces like ruist, or a sandblasted surface.

i always brush it on and then topcoat it with rustoleum that i spray on. i do this because POR15 is not UV ray resistant and it will fade when exposed to direct sunlight
  12. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I think that was the issue I had. I was told I could just needle gun all the rust off and blow all the dust away and then I could apply POR 15 straight to bare metal.
  13. Zigblazer

Zigblazer Member

Any long term updates on the POR15 durability?
  14. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

whats with the horn ?