1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Popping Noise/Rumble

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chcav1218, Dec 2, 2009.

1. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I have noticed a popping noise during turns, especially right turns, and the truck rumbles pretty good at about 80mph. The popping I assumed could be a front bearing or ball joint or even a really bad tie rod. I just replaced the upper ball joints, the tie rods are solid, and so are the lower ball joints and bearings. New stearing box, idler arm, and pitman arm. What could I be missing? The rumbling at high speeds I assumed could be a rear bearing, but they're solid. Now I'm thinking maybe the driveshaft u-joints are starting to wear and they wobble at high RPM's? What to you guys think?

2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

check your right front wheel bearing........

roads lean to the right to drain so it puts extra pressure on that side.

3. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

That one was just replaced in the spring. I'll check it again though.

4. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Possibly a worn outer CV joint as well. Anymore auto stores sell the whole shaft with boots & all for more reasonable than you would think. This is a guess though.

5. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

What part is a guess !!! The auto parts carrying the whole shaft or whats causing the Problem ???

6. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

The "guess" is whether it is the culprit. Auto stores definately carry these whole 1/2 shafts. I don't really know how to determine a CV joint is bad other than replacing it. I have had had popping noises in front wheel drive cars do this when turning tight in a parking lot. I would think a plow truck might be more likely to have worn joint due to the work it does. Especially those plowing on hard surfaces wear the front wheels can't slip as well in maneuvering.

Just google "popping noise in front end when turning" and you'll find info regarding cv joing such as this. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

^^ My first thought too.. CV joints will 'pop' or 'clunk' while turning when bad.

7. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I've replaced these shafts a few times over in order to fix a torn cv boot. It is easier than repacing the boot.

8. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Well I checked the newer bearing on the right side and its still good. Anyone know how to check the CV joints? Hopefully b&b will shed some light on this.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Does it make the popping noise continuously during a turn...or just once or twice?

The rumble as higher speeds isn't likely a CV unless you can feel it severely through the steering wheel. More likely to be a u-joint or a pinion bearing there. Your truck has the 246 T-case if I recall correctly. If so, your front D-shaft is rotating at all times too so don't overlook the front joints either.

Check the fluid levels in the T-case and front/rear diffs lately?

10. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

When I turn the noise seems to be more wen I hit bumps and cracks in the pavement. If I make a slower turn on smooth pavement I dont get it as much. I havent checked the fluids but I will do that today.

11. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

The popping is likely the front cv joint, but I don't know how to check them other than drive, turn hard right and hard left in a parking lot and listen for the clicking. I imagine the clicking would be louder if you hit bumps or are moving faster because parts are hitting each other harder than they will at slow speeds. The whole shaft on my 98 was 60 bucks and pretty easy to change. The rumble at speed could even just be imbalanced tires-when i had my alignment done I also had tires balanced and it made a huge difference at 80 mph.

12. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

New development! I can hear squeaking now! I didnt have a chance to check it out but Its definitly a rotating part squeaking. Does anyone have a part number for this cv joint? I'm looking on gmpartsdirect.com and I see a few different parts. Do I need just the outter joint or do I need the whole shaft. I'm considering doing the other side as well.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

An aftermarket reman complete shaft is the way to go if you find that's what the issue is. Far less expensive and just as good as a GM unit. Which btw will also be a reman unit too. ;)

14. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Where can i come across one of these little wonders?

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Any local parts store of your choice. They're virtually all remanufactured by the exact same supplier anyway.

16. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Looks to be about an $80 part. Think its worth doin both sides? snow on saturday:dizzy:

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If one side is shot the other won't be far behind. :nod:

18. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

thats what i figured. Whats the estimated install time? if its not too many hours i may just bite the bullet and pay to have my mechanic do them.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

About an hour per side if the truck isn't corroded too badly on the underside. Considerably more if it is. :D

20. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Yes, I'd definitely go aftermarket on CV. I can't believe how reasonable these 1/2 shafts are at chain auto stores for the massive part they are. There was no core charge the last time I did one. They told me to throw it away.

Seen a post mentioned tire balancing.... tires can also become out of round with wear. I have seen this when my truck was on a lift and you spin a tire and eye it from the side. More likely when they have a lot of miles on them.