1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"popping" in the front end? HELP !!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Dieselman19, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

I have a popping coming from the front end of my truck (Ford 2000 F-350), i can feel it under my left foot, it happens sometimes when the plow is off, but it is real bad when the plow is on, Usually when i hit a pot hole or go in and out of a gutter of the driveway any suggestions????

2. plowed

plowed Senior Member

look for a loose shock, u-joints, tie-rods.

3. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

Don't hit pot holes or the gutter..:drinkup: :drinkup: stay away from the beer... But really do you hear the noise when braking?

4. Dieselman19

nope, only when in gutters

5. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

These trucks are notorious for going thru ball joints!!! personally I would start there. I am on the 2nd replacement set on mine!:redbounce :yow!:

6. ProfessionalTou

ProfessionalTou Junior Member

I'd check the ball joints. Jack up the front of the truck so the tires are off the ground.Try to move the tire side to side,and up and down.To see if you have play in them or the tie rods.Might have to use a big pry bar.

7. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Also be sure to check the sway bar to frame bushing. It will cause the same type noise if it is worn.

8. Jray3369

Jray3369 Junior Member

I have it on my 96 350 as well. So your not alone. On another site there are a ton of guys with it. It could be bushings in the leafs. I haven’t look for it too hard, haven’t had time. I went through all my steering components and there new so im not going to loose control over it. Jordan

9. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I had a bad outer tie rod that was making this noise also check to see if the leafs have twisted out of alingment.

Is it only making th noise in 4 wheel drive with or with out the hubs locked?

10. Jray3369

Jray3369 Junior Member

Mine is all the time, i replaced all my tie rods and arms. so the problem may be ball joints or leafs here. But the original poster can still check.

11. john-boy

john-boy Member

ball joints are real notorious as well as the front hub bearing assemblies!!!! have replaced many of them. lastly is the spring bushings

12. Dieselman19

i replaced both upper and lower ball joints in the fall, so ill check everything you guys said thanks

13. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

swaybar link ends or balljoints

john

14. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Does the f350 have a full axle or the independent axle the independent axle have radius arm bushing that sound like ball joints. I don't know if the bigger trucks have the radius arms.

15. Dieselman19

it is a straight beam front end

16. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I would check the drag link and brackets, as well as the spring bushings since you did the ball joints already. My 2000 F350 needs a drag link bushing real bad. Another odd possibility is the front cab mounts right under where your feet are when sitting, they are known to work loose. They also make a popping noise when they are loose. The drag link makes a more solid sounding clunk.