1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Poor traction?

Discussion in 'SnowMan SnowPlows' started by NJlandscaper908, Mar 28, 2011.

1. NJlandscaper908

NJlandscaper908 Member
    from NJ

I'm looking into getting a snowman plow and wanted to know if any of you have had problems with traction loss on the rear wheels due to the down-pressure of the plow lifting the rear end up when it is set down? Thanks for any info in advance!

2. Chris112lee

Chris112lee Member

Most of the traction would come from the front, especially if you have a plow hanging off it.

I have seen some smaller trucks struggle with them on steep inclines, but then just use less pressure.

3. NJlandscaper908

NJlandscaper908 Member
    from NJ

Yes but the drive tires are in the rear so if there is less weight on them due to the down pressure lifting the rear up that would cause some loss of traction correct?

4. Chris112lee

Chris112lee Member

some yes. Are you considering putting one on a 2wd truck?

5. NJlandscaper908

NJlandscaper908 Member
    from NJ

nah 4x4 F250 but i usually plow in 2wd unless i get stuck

6. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

Yes we had lots of trouble with 3 of them at first. Ended up getting a pressure relief valve ad on from snowman. Problem solved. Before the ad on, with plow down and pressure on it, rear wheels would go down in a gutter or even a dip and we would be stuck. Usually raising the front plow would put enough weight on the front wheels to get enough traction, but not always. Especially if there was ice underneath.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Try moving forward before you put full pressure on it ,this way your moving a little and not trying to go from a stand still.